Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The most disappointing album

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Compared to the likes of [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12880]Hotchilidog[/MENTION], I'm no massive music man, but this article (http://priceonomics.com/what-are-the-most-disappointing-albums/) appealed to my data churning side.

Simply, an analysis of albums from 2001 - 2015 where the composite rating of an album was massively below the previous two albums from the same artist.

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 00.30.33.png

Conversely the most unexpectedly good albums:

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 00.31.11.png

What has been your most disappointing album?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
now thats what i call music 76, missed out the spice girls seminal xmas hit ''mama''.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Let's Dance by Bowie definitely my most disappointing purchase

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Be Here Now was a crushing disappointment.

Surprised to see Monkey Business by the Black Eyed Peas on that list. Wasn't that their breakthrough album??

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Pink Floyd did some proper w@nk albums

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I have both Jekyll + Hyde and Moonshine in the Trunk. The table doesn't lie!

Schools Out by Alice Cooper was a massive disappointment back in the day, closely followed by the execrable Long John Silver by Jefferson Airplane the same year. Two of only a handful of vinyl albums that I couldn't bear to keep.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
No question whatsoever: Bad by Michael Jackson. Not that it's all awful, it isn't. But after Thriller and Off The Wall, it's schmaltzy, cheesy, just so lightweight. Tellingly, it was co-produced by Quincy Jones and Jackson and soon QJ would be ditched all together and then it's a straight line to scheissdreck songs about elephants.

More subjective nonsense from so called "critics" who believe they are the guardians of musical taste.They would be better off developing a robot who can be a music, film, theatre , food etc critic all in one so these wastes of space can do something else and make a proper contribution to society.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Compared to the likes of [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12880]Hotchilidog[/MENTION], I'm no massive music man, but this article (http://priceonomics.com/what-are-the-most-disappointing-albums/) appealed to my data churning side.

Simply, an analysis of albums from 2001 - 2015 where the composite rating of an album was massively below the previous two albums from the same artist.

View attachment 68248

Conversely the most unexpectedly good albums:

View attachment 68249

What has been your most disappointing album?

That's a fantastic find - really appeals to my inner geek (which also applauds the fact that there's a band called The Messier Objects). What's interesting is that nearly all the entries are from the last five years (even though the period covered is a 14-year one). Love to know the reason for that - it's interesting that it cuts both ways.

Most disappointing for me? Toss-up between MC5's High Time and The Clash's Sandinista

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
More subjective nonsense from so called "critics" who believe they are the guardians of musical taste.They would be better off developing a robot who can be a music, film, theatre , food etc critic all in one so these wastes of space can do something else and make a proper contribution to society.

Grumpychops x

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Loads of second albums are let downs. The Strokes got progressively worse after Is This It.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
That's a fantastic find - really appeals to my inner geek (which also applauds the fact that there's a band called The Messier Objects). What's interesting is that nearly all the entries are from the last five years (even though the period covered is a 14-year one). Love to know the reason for that - it's interesting that it cuts both ways.

Most disappointing for me? Toss-up between MC5's High Time and The Clash's Sandinista

I remember practicularly crying with disappointment when listening to Sandinista for the first time. It is now probably The Clash album I re-visit the most to listen to, I really love it!
When was the last time you listened ti it? try it again Gwylan....you never know.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
For me - Be Here Now - Oasis. I convinced myself as a teenager it was great, but several years later understood Cocaine had taken over the band hence every song being at least 3 minutes too long.

Only By The Night - Kings of Leon - they went from being one of my favourite bands to Coldplay and U2 wannabes.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I loved OK Computer, so naturally rushed out and bought Kid A when it was released. You can imagine my disappointment upon finding it to be utter pony.

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
I remember practicularly crying with disappointment when listening to Sandinista for the first time. It is now probably The Clash album I re-visit the most to listen to, I really love it!
When was the last time you listened ti it? try it again Gwylan....you never know.

Same with Beastie Boys and Paul's Boutique.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here