Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stealing

What would you do?

• Total voters

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
This evening, I saw a bloke of about 30 stealing in my local Asda. He was walking round, taking things off the shelves and slipping them under his coat (items like razors, HDMI cables, deodorant etc). He must have taken around £30 worth of stuff, before he just wandered out the door.

Take a look at the 3 options - what would you do?

For what it's worth, I chose option 2 - I told a member of staff, who went to 'report it'.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
3 - take him down. From the items he stole he seems like a well-groomed nerd. Even I'd fancy my chances against that.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
This evening, I saw a bloke of about 30 stealing in my local Asda. He was walking round, taking things off the shelves and slipping them under his coat (items like razors, HDMI cables, deodorant etc). He must have taken around £30 worth of stuff, before he just wandered out the door.

Take a look at the 3 options - what would you do?

For what it's worth, I chose option 2 - I told a member of staff, who went to 'report it'.
snivelling grass.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
In a similar situation I too told a member of staff, but before the guy had left the store. The last I saw was the member of staff closely watching him, having already alerted their security.

Personally, I don't care if I am considered a grass. Retail prices are hiked up to compensate for shoplifters, so I am helping to pay for their nicked goods every time I shop!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Agreed to no.2. Used to work in supermarkets and the things you see and hear of people nicking are mental. I've also been in a position where I didn't have 10p to rub together, and I didn't nick, simply because I was brought up knowing right from wrong, and having respect for the law - so before the bleeding hearts come in here saying they were just supporting themselves/family it just doesn't wash with me. No excuse for it IMO.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
In a similar situation I too told a member of staff, but before the guy had left the store. The last I saw was the member of staff closely watching him, having already alerted their security.

Personally, I don't care if I am considered a grass. Retail prices are hiked up to compensate for shoplifters, so I am helping to pay for their nicked goods every time I shop!
Just out of interest would you buy stolen goods down the pub if you knew you were getting a proper bargain?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have seen this happen, several times. I have at different times employed all the options above, although my version of tackling the thief was just to tell him I thought the store detective had clocked him.
The do nothing option was taken when I witnessed an old lady of about 75 slip a can of lager in her bag, I just couldn't do anything against a little old lady.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Depends on the circumstances, someone caught stealing a mars bar because they couldn't afford to eat, I'd probably turn a blind eye.

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
Agreed to no.2. Used to work in supermarkets and the things you see and hear of people nicking are mental. I've also been in a position where I didn't have 10p to rub together, and I didn't nick, simply because I was brought up knowing right from wrong, and having respect for the law - so before the bleeding hearts come in here saying they were just supporting themselves/family it just doesn't wash with me. No excuse for it IMO.

They were just supporting themselves/family.

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
I'd be disappointed if it was a small business but to be frank I don't really give a shit about the big super markets. They screw over plenty of people themselves so maybe it's redressing the balance?

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Just out of interest would you buy stolen goods down the pub if you knew you were getting a proper bargain?

No. Would you?

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Couldn't give a flying f%^k about Asda. Do Asda/Walmart care about the exploitation in their supply chains, and the small businesses that close when they open their stores?
If I saw someone nicking from a small business, then maybe I'd have a word with the light-fingered one if they didn't look too mental. Big retailers though? Pah. People are seriously naive if they think that a sudden drop in shop lifting would result in lower prices at the chains.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here