Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

10 reasons I'm feeling deep liking and respect for Hughton

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
This time last season Forest were top and finished 14th so I'm not starry eyed about our chances, not yet at least, esp after he and KLL won those bangles today.

But I'm getting stronger and stronger feelings of respect and love for CH, irrespective of our current position: here are 10 reasons why:-

1. No-one has a bad word to say about him. Probably means he's a thoroughly decent man, and that probably gives him leadership quality and makes the players want to perform for him.

2. Utterly no ego. See 1.

3. Has changed the formation we play in...

4. ...but more importantly seems to have given players licence to play to their skills with more abandon, more enjoyment, less fear...

5. ...and boy, does it show, the football has been sooo much more enjoyable this season not just because we're winning. An Everton supporter said of the Ipswich game that we looked awesome. Opposition fan boards have largely been quick to praise us. Best ever football at Falmer IMO, perhaps, must be CH, who else could it be?

6. Turning players around. I'm a bit sad for Calderon, Ince etc who haven't had much of a look in but players like KLL, Baldock, Stevens have another gear versus last year, particularly the former. I was worried about him at the end of last season, he looked washed up, look at him now...

7. New signings... Bong, whoulda thunk it? Hemed, no Rodney Marsh but knows where the goal is: a few more newbies we've yet to see, exciting?

8. Loans out rather than loaning in

9. Stockdale. Maybe not down to CH but he looks formidable this time round. Grown good.

10. Lastly, not to get misty eyed but CH seems to have values. I might not agree with them but love it that a manager has dimension and brains enough to have sincere political views on their sleeve. It's something that seems to hang off exceptional managers. v. Clough (B). Ferguson (A).

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Excellent post.

I was delighted with his appointment but he was actually my 2nd choice. Sadly to many dicks on here judged him to early purely based on last seasons performances and listening to Norwich fans. He had to pick up the horrendous shit left behind by Hyypia and Burke.
Yes i was slightly concerned about our style but i was always prepared to judge him after he had time to build his own squad while shifting out the crap

First few games this season we huffed and puffed really but grounded out wins. The Ipswich game was a benchmark of what we can expect from Hughton. That really was a superb and enjoyable performance. Far better than anyting under Garcia or Hyypia.

I like Hughton. I cannot see him being poached or touting himself in front of the cameras. What we need is stability and i believe we have got it in this man

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Number 6. Everyone, Calderon included, knew he was wasn't going to get a lot of football this year if we had serious desires on a top 6 finish. Useful squad player but not not starting 11. Ince, I think Hughton knows he's good. Hence the new contract and bringing him on as a sub quite a bit, can't start him because of competition but keeping him involved.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
Number 6. Everyone, Calderon included, knew he was wasn't going to get a lot of football this year if we had serious desires on a top 6 finish. Useful squad player but not not starting 11. Ince, I think Hughton knows he's good. Hence the new contract and bringing him on as a sub quite a bit, can't start him because of competition but keeping him involved.

Good point/s. I imagine CH has Calde very active behind the scenes even if he's not playing.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
Number 5. Time will tell if it's better football than Gus had us playing.

Opto, IMO our first three seasons at Falmer were characterised by rather drab football (in the main) despite finishing well. Honestly I'd rather watch us play fabulous football in this league and finish 10th than play dull football to make the play-offs.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Not even going to compare Hughton to Poyet. Gus left a legacy that i will always be grateful for. I loved that era. I went to the Amex always expecting to win under Gus. Never had that feeling since. It was almost arrogant. Hopefully Hughton can start another new era we can all be proud of.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Stockdale was never bad. o oh ignorant fans who couldn't see past koosh didn't rate him.

The class was there for us all to see. CH has just put a team that scores goals in front of him now so there is less pressure put on him game after game.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i watched the ipswich game on a golfing holiday in indonesia.....i just had the broadest smile on my boat for most of the game , the players are clearly up for it , great to see......dishing out a spanking to hull would be nice...:D:thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Stockdale was never bad. o oh ignorant fans who couldn't see past koosh didn't rate him.
Although it's true to say that he's a very good keeper, Stockdale himself said that he was a bit rusty at the start of the last season - he quickly got match fit but wasn't at his best in those early games. Did this affect the way that fans viewed him?

Agree with everything about CH though, think he's a real asset to the club. And, at his age, he's not too likely to get poached by anyone so he can build some real stability here

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Certainly looking positive. Always a quality manager who has done the job before.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not even going to compare Hughton to Poyet. Gus left a legacy that i will always be grateful for. I loved that era. I went to the Amex always expecting to win under Gus. Never had that feeling since. It was almost arrogant. Hopefully Hughton can start another new era we can all be proud of.
That team had no fight in it, 1-0 down under Poyet and I could of rushed to the bookies and gone large on a draw or a loss.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
It comes down to the fact that CH is an intelligent man. This comes across in how he manages the players and conducts himself in front of the cameras . For all Poyet's achievements I never really warmed to him. The ego just exploded - and basically Poyet wasn't as quick thinking or special as he thought he was. I never liked the stuff about we are Brighton we only play one way..........

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Very difficult to judge his Premiership career in management as Newcastle are always a total basket case and with their owner always lucking in the background tricky and Norwich were in dire straits right from the off.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
He is absolutely a decent man, and even before he came here I wondered if he was tough enough, and hoped the game didn't chew him up, and spit him out.

Glad he's here, but I'm already a little sad that at some point - hopefully no time soon - he will fall out of favour here and fans will be calling for his head. Let's hope we can reach good heights before that happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here