Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Milton Keynes, joke town...

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
OK, got tickets for the Foo Fighters tomorrow night at MK some weeks ago (after original gigs cancelled due to broken leg) and all was cushty. Then the missus could not make the gig due to other commitments, doh. Anyway, I did not rush to book a hotel as I thought it best to liase with whoever would be the buyer of the spare ticket.

It seems MK is not a great draw, have been unable to move the ticket, but have kept an eye on hotels etc in the vicinity. At no point have rooms become available, tonight I thought I would bite the bullet and book a room up to say £120 in the hope of selling the spare outside the venue and covering some of my costs. Best I could find, hang on, all that I could find was about 30 miles away for £200 ish, just nuts.

I can only summise that MK is so remote from anywhere decent that hotels are mandatory with gig tickets, unlikely to get back by train unless leaving the gig early FFS. Oh well, fxxk you MK, gonna drive up, not drink, drive home, and keep my money to myself.

Harumph!

Last edited:

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
OK, got tickets for the Foo Fighters at MK some weeks ago (after original gigs cancelled due to broken leg) and all was cushty. Then the missus could not make the gig due to other commitments, doh. Anyway, I did not rush to book a hotel as I thought it best to liase with whoever would be the buyer of the spare ticket.

It seems MK is not a great draw, have been unable to move the ticket, but have kept an eye on hotels etc in the vicinity. At no point have rooms become available, tonight I thought I would bite the bullet and book a room up to say £120 in the hope of selling the spare outside the venue and covering some of my costs. Best I could find, hang on, all that I could find was about 30 miles away for £200 ish, just nuts.

I can only summise that MK is so remote from anywhere decent that hotels are mandatory with gig tickets, unlikely to get back by train unless leaving the gig early FFS. Oh well, fxxk you MK, gonna drive up, not drink, drive home, and keep my money to myself.

Harumph!

Actually hotels in Milton Keynes are always busy and often you need to book in advance, add to that an additional 80K people descending on the place for a gig then its hardly surprising that there are no rooms left. It is actually because MK IS so centrally located and close to the midlands, London and the M1 that the hotels are always booked up not because its remote.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
OK, got tickets for the Foo Fighters tomorrow night at MK some weeks ago (after original gigs cancelled due to broken leg) and all was cushty. Then the missus could not make the gig due to other commitments, doh. Anyway, I did not rush to book a hotel as I thought it best to liase with whoever would be the buyer of the spare ticket.

Harumph!

Tried the Cock inn & Bull inn Stony Stratford ? & learn about that anecdote!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
TBH, most of the country is "remote" if you expect to get a train after a gig, unless you live in London.

By car, MK is in easy reach of loads of places.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Am doing the same tomorrow. Didn't even bother looking at hotels as assumed they'd be crazy prices.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
My abiding memory of MK is a taxi driver taking a group of five of us ("One of you will 'ave to lie down if we see a copper") across town to the stadium for the princely sum of £6.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here