Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PCN Program on TV

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Watching that last night I was intrigued by the number of people who ignored fines and got left with bills of 3,4, or 5k.when they could delay paying just by appealing to the end of time limits. Then pay the original fee,

The 2nd thing that got me was a PCN is a civil offence not criminal so under what authority did the police have to do NPR on defaulting payers as it is nothing to do with them. That is not saying people are not idiots for not paying. I noticed 1 lady in a Merc owed £5k and paid it in £50 notes.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I did wonder about the police involvement and there were a lot of them even though I am pretty sure they are at best bending the law in the way they are stopping motorists and using their access to information to benefit bailiffs who, whilst officers of the court, have no similar access to drivers' personal details held by DVLA. Have to ask my son who is a policeman but it seemed a very crass use of resources when the majority would doubtless prefer them to be deployed on criminal offences.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I think the point was made that a driver who avoids paying a parking fine inevitably has broken the law or is wanted for something else. So whilst the council try and collect the fine the police are there to keep the peace whilst checking over the vehicle and doing a PNC check on the person.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the point was made that a driver who avoids paying a parking fine inevitably has broken the law or is wanted for something else. So whilst the council try and collect the fine the police are there to keep the peace whilst checking over the vehicle and doing a PNC check on the person.

I fully appreciate what they are doing but wonder under what authority or law they can assist a person collecting a civil debt. This has nothing whatsoever to the fact that the person may be wanted for a crime as I am certain not all non payers come in that catergory.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Was indeed the reason given............,

I fully appreciate what they are doing but wonder under what authority or law they can assist a person collecting a civil debt. This has nothing whatsoever to the fact that the person may be wanted for a crime as I am certain not all non payers come in that catergory.

But as correctly pointed out by BG is of dubious legality

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I was targeted by traffic wardens over a 2 week period and accumulated 11 tickets followed by reminders.

Quite proud of this lot, and appealed them all successfully.

DSC00075.JPG

I spoke to them on a daily basis and they seemed to take great pleasure in continuing to issue them.

E.jpg

They came in pairs in the end :lolol:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Watching that last night I was intrigued by the number of people who ignored fines and got left with bills of 3,4, or 5k.when they could delay paying just by appealing to the end of time limits. Then pay the original fee,

The 2nd thing that got me was a PCN is a civil offence not criminal so under what authority did the police have to do NPR on defaulting payers as it is nothing to do with them. That is not saying people are not idiots for not paying. I noticed 1 lady in a Merc owed £5k and paid it in £50 notes.

What was the program called and when was it on?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What was the program called and when was it on?

Parking Mad 10.35pm after the news Thursday night on BBC 1.

They showed clips of Worthing Brighton and Horsham enforecement officers. I would say I have never lost an appeal in any of those Towns when I have received a PCN for whatever reason. It must be said that they have been private not council issued PCNs.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Parking Mad 10.35pm after the news Thursday night on BBC 1.

They showed clips of Worthing Brighton and Horsham enforecement officers. I would say I have never lost an appeal in any of those Towns when I have received a PCN for whatever reason. It must be said that they have been private not council issued PCNs.

I have never parked where i shouldn't so never received one, why did you get them?

The bailiffs are acting on the authority of the court, but that authority does not extend to giving them the right to stop moving vehicles. The police, of course, do have that authority, and the driver is required to stop if instructed by a police officer.

I'm not sure whether the driver is required to have any interaction with the bailiff, once stopped, but most drivers do. And that's how the bailiffs succeed in getting the money paid.

So you are basically saying the drivers should talk to the police but not the bailiffs and just get jn their car and drive off.

No. The bailiffs will still have the authority to execute the order of the court.

All I am questioning is whether the action of the police in stopping the vehicle requires the driver, at that moment, to deal with the bailiffs.

When I worked for the Council and we wanted to do interview surveys of motorists, we used the police to stop the vehicles (and we paid Sussex Police a huge fee for the service), but the deal was that, if the motorist didn't want to take part in the survey, there was no obligation to do so and we couldn't press the matter. I'm wondering if the same arrangement exists between the firm of bailiffs and their police officers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here