Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Referees to start dishing out GREEN cards

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rd-programme-help-tackle-foul-play-Italy.html

Serie B is set to launch an innovative new scheme this weekend to help promote fair play in football.

With the sport so often blighted by accusations of gamesmanship or simulation, Italy's second division is moving to counteract this trend by rewarding players for 'conspicuous acts of sportsmanship' and other 'acts of virtue'.

According to Italian newspaper La Stampa, a new 'green card' will be used by referees to signal when a player has done something worthy of praise rather than punishment.

It is hope the scheme will 'highlight those who help to make the game a game and not a battle of primal instincts.'

Red and yellow cards will still be dished out for fouls and dissent but the green card will be shown for acts such as knocking the ball out of play to allow an injured player to receive medical treatment.

There is no in-match reward for earning a green card, such as a free-kick or penalty, but referees will note the players who receive the most over the course of a season.

A list of the division's 'most correct' players will then be compiled, though what incentive there is to feature on that list is yet to be revealed.

The scheme has been created in response to a directive from UEFA to promote fair play in football and has already been used in Italian youth leagues.

Wow. Quite possibly the most POINTLESS "innovation" I've seen since the officials behind the goal line. Why doesn't the ref just summons the player over for a jovial ruffle of the hair ? Maybe he could put one of those little star-stickers on his shirt and give some House Points for his team. Or perhaps issue the player with a knowing smile accompanied by a "Cowell wink".

The possibilities.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
What an absolute tin pot thing to do. Referee's are there to refer to the laws of the game so where exactly does it state that they have to congratulate players during the game with acts of sportsmanship?!

That's not even a role, it should be implemented throughout, not for a referee to do as part of his job.

Pointless.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
We've got enough issues with immigration already without the need to put referees in charge who can stay and who can't :moo:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I've often wondered when we'd see a third card introduced. I never thought we'd see it implemented for something so sodding ridiculous.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I really don't get this. If there was a proper punishment/deterrent for rule breaking in the first place then surely that'd put an end to poor gamesmanship or simulation?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
If they were ever going to bring in a 3rd card I assumed it would be a sin-bin type card, neither a booking or a sending off, but a "sent to the stands for 5 minutes" type thing. Perhaps for diving or those archetypal "orange card" challenges that could go either way.

Not for this. They might as well get a smiley face sticker. Utterly pointless.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Perhaps they could get some Argos vouchers at the end of the season?

We've got enough issues with immigration already without the need to put referees in charge who can stay and who can't :moo:

Yep. A green card is a residence permit, is it not?

When I lived in Italy, before the UK joined the EU, the way I got my residence permit was to bribe a policeman. Surely that still works? I don't see the point of inviting football referees into the process.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"There is no in-match reward for earning a green card, such as a free-kick or penalty"

I'm so glad they cleared that up at least.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Yep. A green card is a residence permit, is it not?

When I lived in Italy, before the UK joined the EU, the way I got my residence permit was to bribe a policeman. Surely that still works? .

It certainly does. I know a Brazilian who was illegal in the UK who then went to Italy for a month and had all the fake history documents produced there to get a nice new Italian national ID card and EU passport. When he was there he was staying in a house full of Brazilians doing the same thing. This house has a conveyor belt of occupants throughout the year all getting the same service.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
The only way this would have a point without changing the game a lot would be that it should stop players that have been given two yellow cards from being sent off/ it should cancel out 1 yellow card.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Totally pointless as others have stated, but why get a pat on the back for kicking the ball out of play for a player to receive treatment, if the injury was serious the referee would (should) have stop play anyway.
What next a green card for not diving, telling the ref what a good decision he has just made.
How many green cards would have been awarded to Doncaster for allowing Bury to score.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
According to Italian newspaper La Stampa, a new 'green card' will be used by referees to signal when a player has done something worthy of praise rather than punishment.

It is hope the scheme will 'highlight those who help to make the game a game and not a battle of primal instincts.'

Red and yellow cards will still be dished out for fouls and dissent but the green card will be shown for acts such as knocking the ball out of play to allow an injured player to receive medical treatment.

Looking forward already to the inaugural Semáforo award to the first player to collect all three colour cards in a season :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here