Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Badly behaved children ruining British pubs

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
[h=1]Badly behaved children ruining British pubs[/h]
Personally, I am not worried about noisy kids in a pub. In some of them it's the families that keeps these places alive unlike the pensioner who has one shandy for the whole evening but I o understand that other people do not like their presence and a pub should be no place for children.

Is this a thread about things that don't trouble us?

Personally, I'm rarely bothered about traffic signals turning red ... although I understand that some people get really CROSS when this happens.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I hate this. I have a son of 7 and whenever we go into a pub I make sure he sits down and doesn't disturb others. He's never let out of my sight. If only all other parents had the same mentality.

My first foray into a pub was the Gloucester, Gloucester Place, with my parents and grandparents. There was a childrens room with scary painted characters on the wall, where I would sit with my mum & nan, while the men had a drink in the bar. The days of Smiths crisps with blue bags of salt.:drink:

Me too as I lived nearby during my childhood.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seeing as how pubs put much more emphasis on food nowadays, seems only natural that UK should be gravitating more and more towards the familycentric European thing of kids being welcome in restaurants. The real problem IMHO is parents with no self-awareness or thoughts of how the behaviour of their offspring affects other people around them. Probably the same people who incessantly bellow down their phones on the train as if the rest of the carriage didn't exist.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Unruly, badly behaved kids tend to be accompanied by a certain type of parent. I find the nicer the pub the nicer the patrons the better behaved the kids.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This follows the general trend that children should be given space and time to develope and not be corrected or taught good manners at all. I am not sure how I and many others have managed to reach our 70s, As regards pubs it is better that the children are in there rather than like me in the 50s sat out side the Dragoon or Jolly Brewers with an arrowrorot biscuit and glass of Hooper Struve lemonade.for about 2 hours with the occassional check up from mum to see I was Ok as dad was at the bar.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I don't have a problem with kids in pubs, PROVIDED their parents keep them under control and the parents behave reasonably as well.

Has become a bit of a problem in my local on Sundays recently, with parents taking up way too much room covering seats and tables with colouring books, toys, games, kids drinks, bags, crisps and all other sorts of kids paraphernalia. The parents then sit there with half a bitter watching the football for two hours, ignoring their kids running round the pub annoying everyone!

A couple of weeks back a kid banged it's head on the table I managed to get a seat at, burst into tears, and the mother had the audacity to glare at me as if I was the problem!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A couple of weeks back a kid banged it's head on the table I managed to get a seat at, burst into tears, and the mother had the audacity to glare at me as if I was the problem!

Admit it, you punched the air, yelled YEEESS!! and generally failed to conceal your glee :clap: Which you might have got away with - IF the football had actually started :lol:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Unruly, badly behaved kids tend to be accompanied by a certain type of parent. I find the nicer the pub the nicer the patrons the better behaved the kids.

Very much this.

I completely disagree with this, in fact I think it's pretty much the opposite. Parents of tarquin and tinker bell at cetrain pretentious places in Brighton tend to gaze on in an alcoholic haze while the kids run riot. More "working class" families who are out for a special occasion tend to be much better behaved. Though this is obviously a generalisation.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I completely disagree with this, in fact I think it's pretty much the opposite. Parents of tarquin and tinker bell at cetrain pretentious places in Brighton tend to gaze on in an alcoholic haze while the kids run riot.

Yup, the Park View and the Crown & Anchor round these parts suffer a lot from this of a weekend. To be fair though, it's not a problem during the week, so maybe its a case of live and let live for that couple of hours a week. Couples with young kids deserve a bit of downtime in the pub same as everybody else IMHO and there's so many pubs in town that's its no big deal to find a child-unfriendly one.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
The problem is the parenting, particularly in the age of smartphones and tablets.

Children have lost the art of just sitting round a table patiently because parents are so quick to shove a phone or tablet under their noise to nullify them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A contributory factor is service. My kids are fine if the wait time is reasonable but get restless if it is prolonged. Many pubs have tiny kitchens because they weren't designed to be restaurants and this can back up the orders at busy times.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here