Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will the last person to leave switch off the light, end of an era Amex House

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We used to sneak in and play in the snooker rooms years ago, money in the light meter.
Cheaper beer too as I remember.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Not quite, 3 weeks yet. You should see the place though, really showing its age...
Blimey it's only 38! :eek:
Most inner city buildings are over a 100, many a lot more. I guess it doesn't say much for modern building standards.

Very fair point, and I guess some of it may be down to dwindling investment, but we've recently had buckets lying around the place catching the water - Really makes you feel you're living in the corporate fast lane :lol:.

38 years though, not good is it.....

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What are they building there?

My old boss claimed to have been fired from every FLOOR of that building on different occasions. Quite a feat.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
They Closed14 offices in Sussex when they opened Amex House it was two small within in 6 months. They closed 5 in Mid Sussex which was The Martlets , London road opposite the Royal George which lost a lot of trade. In Haywards Heath Milton House, Eastchester and Westchester House which are all still standing on the entrance to Burrell Road. The Card Division started with 12 staff in Haymarket in 1966 ( a good year) then moved to the Birch Hotel Haywards Heath until Westchester House was ready. The Hayworth ,Liverpool arms and the Burrell did very well out of the Amex and Bain and Dawes staff. It is great they have refitted Sussex House as it will help to put much needed revenue into Burgess Hill. Thank you Amex for sponsoring the Albion.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Sorry, but it's an utterly revolting piece of second rate self-regarding architecture that blotted 100 views from round the city for nearly 40 years too long. Understandable that Amex's accountants recently allowed it to decay into a shabby wreck but the sight of it did nothing for the company's claims to be community spirited. It wasn't a building, it was a hole in the sky.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Is that that holiday camp place near St Jame's Street where people used to just hang around outside smoking?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here