Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 2016 Qualifying groups

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Shaping up to be pretty exciting in every group bar ours really.

Other than Portugal, NONE of the Nations you would expect to be topping their groups actually are.

Holland in particular are in BIG trouble, as scores stand they are 4 points off 2nd with just 3 games to go.

Anyone know how many play-offs there will be?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
4 play off matches made up of the third place teams except for the best 3rd place team who will qualify automatically. As it stands Albania are the best 3rd placed Nation.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Shaping up to be pretty exciting in every group bar ours really.

Other than Portugal, NONE of the Nations you would expect to be topping their groups actually are.

Holland in particular are in BIG trouble, as scores stand they are 4 points off 2nd with just 3 games to go.

Anyone know how many play-offs there will be?

Just more proof that in recent years England have been amongst the best qualifiers in the world - fact :)

I didn't realise the top 2 go through automatically that's annoying - so 3rd places get playoffs - the Dutch will be thankful Turkey got pegged back late then...

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Why are Iceland initials ISL just flicking through the channels and its NED V ISL

Because in their native tongue they are Island. Why didn't you ask why the Dutch initials are NED? They aren't called Nederlands in England, are they.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
How many teams from third go into the play-off, and how do they cater for different size groups?

I'm just interested what chance Scotland and Israel have of getting there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Holland losing at home to ICELAND, who top the group. Can you imagine the carnage if that happened at Wembley ?

Strange days.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How many teams from third go into the play-off, and how do they cater for different size groups?

There are 9 groups. All third placed teams except 1 with the worst record will go into a Playoff.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There are 9 groups. All third placed teams except 1 with the worst record will go into a Playoff.

Ok, so current third teams are:

Nation. Played. Points.
Netherlands. 7. 10
Israel. 7. 12
Ukraine. 6. 12
Scotland. 6. 11
Slovenia. 6 9
Hungary. 6 11
Russia 6. 8
Norway 7. 13
Albania. 4. 10

The Netherlands and Russia look at risk.

Last edited:

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Just seen Hemed scoring a pen for israel on TV. Would like to think he waited for keeper to move as it was slotted pretty straight.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Group A has got some interesting fixtures. Turkey have got to play the top three so if they beat Netherlands that would put the cat amongst the pigeons. Netherlands have also got Czech Republic at home.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

There are 9 groups, the best 3rd place side qualify for the finals, the other 8 enter the play offs. Group I contains five teams, the rest of the groups contain six, matches against any sixth-placed team in each group are not included in this ranking. As a result, a total of eight matches played by each team count toward the purpose of the third-placed ranking table.

That isn't correct, the 3rd place nation with the best record will qualify automatically with the teams finishing 1st and 2nd in each group (19 teams). The remaining 8 teams that finished 3rd will be drawn into 4 play off matches (seeded based on UEFA co-effecient) and the 4 winners of the play offs will also advance to Euro 2016. Along with France as the host nation that will make up the 24 sides that qualify.

Ok, so current third teams are:

Nation. Played. Points.
Netherlands. 7. 10
Israel. 7. 12
Ukraine. 6. 12
Scotland. 6. 11
Slovenia. 6 9
Hungary. 6 11
Russia 6. 8
Norway 7. 13
Albania. 4. 10

The Netherlands and Russia look at risk.

No-one is at risk, as I said above the the best team qualify automatically.

As it stands Norway are leading the 3rd place race, but Albania have quite a few games in hand.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Iceland ! Fecking Iceland ! They have three matches left, including two winnable home ones. They could be on there way through. :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ahh ok stand corrected.

24 teams is WAY too many for a Euros finals. Far too much cack floating about. 4 groups of 4 was perfect, but Platini needs votes I suppose.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Along a similar theme, ie. playing in qualification groups for tournaments.
I went to the NIB stadium here last night to watch Australia v Bangladesh in a World Cup Qualifier.
Talk about a one sided game, Australia won 5 - 0, could have been 10 - 0, with one goal courtesy of Bangladesh and the possession stats were Australia 82% Bangladesh 18%.
Not really a good advert for the game, it was won after 17 mins.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No-one is at risk, as I said above the the best team qualify automatically.

As it stands Norway are leading the 3rd place race, but Albania have quite a few games in hand.

Thanks for correcting this. So, we might see England, Scotland & Wales in the finals, plus Israel (with Hemed and Kayal).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here