Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nottinghamshire County Council to ban smoking breaks.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As a confirmed ex-smoker who ain't ever going back, I have to say, POPPYCOCK!

'Duty of care' my axxe, council officials hiding behind false interpretations of laws, rules and policies. Bit like much of Health and Safety rules implementation in the UK.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Heard about this earlier..
Apparently they're not allowed to smoke with their uniform on even on their way to work etc...pathetic.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Quite a large county? Cleaners, dinner ladies at several hundred schools?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I smoked from when I was 14 to when my son was born when I was a month shy of my 35th birthday. Nearly 21 years. In that time I made myself worse at every sport I played, got more coughs that I naturally should have and probably gave myself nasal polyps, resulting in 2 operations. I also met two of my best friends and my wife in the smoking room of my first company, met three invaluable work contacts on smoke breaks, had the funniest night I can remember in Dublin because I'd popped outside for a fag and did a deal that extended my timeline on a software project in Japan by two weeks because I took someone for a coffee and smoke at the right time.

My son was is now 8. I can run a half marathon fairly comfortably and have got up without coughing most mornings for about 5 years. Yet smoke breaks have been massively beneficial to my life as you can see from the above. The least people should be given is a choice.

Last edited:

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I used to work an an office. The guy next to me smoked 30 a day. About every half an hour he would go for a fag.He did half the work everyone else did and we answered all the queries on his work.i It was not fair.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I used to work an an office. The guy next to me smoked 30 a day. About every half an hour he would go for a fag.He did half the work everyone else did and we answered all the queries on his work.i It was not fair.

That's not a problem with smoke breaks though. That's a problem with him and your boss, He was what we call round here a BELL CHEESE.He should have been sacked. If his superior wasn't dealing with it then he should have gone too.

The issue here isn't that lazy bar stewards should be allowed to have as many breaks as they want, It's that you should be allowed the basic human right to be a stupid whatsit in your own time, and that people should realise that as many deals are done in "breaks" as in the office.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The same place as the results of your research to blindly refute this statement.

Mine is based on the fact you cannot use these devices on an aircraft as there there is no evidence that passive smoking from these devices has not been proven to be safe.
Over to you.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
That's not a problem with smoke breaks though. That's a problem with him and your boss, He was what we call round here a BELL CHEESE.He should have been sacked. If his superior wasn't dealing with it then he should have gone too.

The issue here isn't that lazy bar stewards should be allowed to have as many breaks as they want, It's that you should be allowed the basic human right to be a stupid whatsit in your own time, and that people should realise that as many deals are done in "breaks" as in the office.

Our boss was in another office 80 miles away and had 10 offices and loads of staff. Managers came and went. Some did not know our names.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"The ban would prevent staff in uniform smoking on their way to and from work, and also extends to e-cigarettes."
And presumably nicorette gum or patches? i dont understand this hate agains the e-cigs, its like people are really offended by the very notion that other people have found a pleasurable way to ingest nicotine that doesnt have any side effects.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Wish us non-smokers got as many breaks as smokers at work!

It's funny, but the ones who said that in my office were the same ones who were chatting at the kettle when I nipped out.......and still there when I got back!

I can't speak for all smokers but I know I adjusted my timesheet to (more than) compensate for any time out:smokin:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here