Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for Windows experts

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have a problem with my son's laptop. His keyboard isn't working at all (he discovered the Uninstall Software facility last week and I think he deleted a file he shouldn't have ... but naturally he can't remember what he did). When I say 'not working', I mean that none of the keys, including the function keys aren't working. When it boots, it goes straight to Windows as I can't interrupt the boot process. I can type in commands using the on-screen keyboard but that's clearly not ideal.

I can't use a USB keyboard as that doesn't work either.

I've checked Device Manager and that tells me that there's no issue with the keyboard and the drivers are all installed and up to date. The mouse does work, however.

I've checked the Registry and that's as it should be.

It's a second hand machine and I don't have the installation disk to reboot

Any ideas what to try next?

(It's a Lenovo running Windows 7)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Ahem ...

I've checked Device Manager and that tells me that there's no issue with the keyboard and the drivers are all installed and up to date.

I've tried Google and looked at dozens of sites, which all tell me to check Device Manager (which was one of the first things I tried) or use Installation Disk. I was wondering if any NSC techy geniuses knew of anything else to try

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
When it boots, it goes straight to Windows as I can't interrupt the boot process. I can type in commands using the on-screen keyboard but that's clearly not ideal.

If it won't let you use keyboard to get into BIOS (Or anything pre-boot) then it doesn't sound like a Windows issue to me... Have you had a play around with the FN keys?

Last edited:

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Try system restore using an earlier snapshot dated prior to the date that things went wrong, always seems to work for me. Hope it helps.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Just seen you are using 7, so not sure if that system has the facility, I have XP and Vista which has, so sorry if not available.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Try uninstalling the keyboard and reboot. Windows should then redetect and reinstall the drivers for it.

Or, you should be able to find and download a Windows 7 iso - burn to disc and use that to repair. Make sure you use the same version of Win 7 installed on the laptop (the laptop may even have a recovery partition). If you need the Windows 7 licence key and don't know it, use Jellybean Key finder (don't install the crap that comes with it like add ons to your browser).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Have you had a play around with the FN keys?

When I say 'not working', I mean that none of the keys, including the function keys aren't working.
Note: I meant none are working

Any chance it might be water damaged, try another USB keyboard using all the different ports.

I can't use a USB keyboard as that doesn't work either.

Try system restore using an earlier snapshot dated prior to the date that things went wrong, always seems to work for me. Hope it helps.

I did look to do that but, you're right, it doesn't have that facility
If you need the Windows 7 licence key and don't know it, use Jellybean Key finder (don't install the crap that comes with it like add ons to your browser).

This looked promising ... until I read the reviews that said it installed so much crap that it the program was useless. And worryingly, installed bloatware even if you indicated not to ... and contained viruses. Sounds like this would make it worse.

The other I can't do is install a disc. I'd like to run Linux to see if that worked but I can't without a CD player (I've tried creating a Linux boot image on a USB drive but can't do it)

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing

This looked promising ... until I read the reviews that said it installed so much crap that it the program was useless. And worryingly, installed bloatware even if you indicated not to ... and contained viruses. Sounds like this would make it worse.

The other I can't do is install a disc. I'd like to run Linux to see if that worked but I can't without a CD player (I've tried creating a Linux boot image on a USB drive but can't do it)

Hmmm...I've used it it and it's fine for finding Windows and Office. The bloatware is an innocuous question during the install process, so don't just press yes to everything. It does work.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007

Note: On some models you can lock and disable the keyboard/touchpad with the FN key and the F1-F12 keys. (Which would mean none are working other than the FN command to re-enable)

Can you access BIOS? If not then it isn't a windows problem (How can it be if it's non functional before the Windows boot?)

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
what make and model is the laptop? As [MENTION=9385]Arundel_Seagull[/MENTION] is saying, if the keyboard is not working pre-Windows then it isn't a WIndows issue.

Jul 7, 2003
Try to interrupt the boot sequence when you first turn it on. If you keep hitting the F8 key it should stop the Windows boot process. You can then go into safe mode and try to fix this or use the repair options. The suggestion for plugging in an external keyboard is also a good one as this will prove if the drivers or the hardware are at fault.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as hinted, if this isnt allowing you to enter the BIOS its very very unlikly a Windows issue.

when you plug in a USB keyboard, does the NumLock/Caps/Shift lock lights come on? they should all flicker then (normally) the Number lock light stay on, and or caps - try pressing the Caps and Num lock keys during boot to see them go on/off. Also try plugging in a mouse and check the laser is on (assuming you have an optical).

we're seeing here if there is a fundemental USB issue, if any of the lights dont work, yet the laptop does boot, suggests there is no power to USB so maybe the USB bus is TITSUP. if there is lights the keyboard should respond, but then you should be able to get in the BIOS... if not really just confirming the same.

does the laptop make a serious of beeps on first boot? this is called Power on self test (POST) and you can diagnose issues from that, though i dont recall laptops doing this for some time.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

Win7 does have that facility I've used it plenty of times. You may not have a checkpoint to restore back to though.

Can you prove USB works using a memory stick or some other device? Then disable or uninstall keyboard in device manager & then plug in USB keyboard.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've downloaded a new set of drivers and I do get a USB keyboard to work but the laptop keyboard still doesn't - so it's not a driver issue and it's not a Windows one.

I'm going to interrupt the boot process tomorrow - been fiddling around with it too much tonight

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
on some Lenovos, you get into bios by Fn+f2, rather than F8

You could also try Fn+ScrollLock, that buggers the keyboard about as well

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
My guess is that one of the keys on the laptop keyboard is stuck (on).

This fills the keyboard buffer as soon as the machine is turned on, and any further key-presses are ignored... including any generated from the usb keyboard.

This could be a simple mechanical problem, a broken plastic latch on a key, or stickyness caused by a spilled drink.

First step is to lightly press all the keys one by one, to see if there is one which has less "give" than the others.
If you can find one, then prize off the key cap, (if it's that kind of keyboard), and check the mechanism underneath to see if it is repairable or cleanable.

If it's an older machine, you may be able to pick up a second hand keyboard from ebay for around a tenner, and fit it yourself... (nothing to lose).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here