Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 1st ODI: England v Australia at Southampton 2pm

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
England Squad

EJG Morgan, MM Ali, SW Billings, JC Buttler, ST Finn, AD Hales, LE Plunkett, AU Rashid, JJ Roy, BA Stokes, JWA Taylor, DJ Willey, CR Woakes, MA Wood

Australia Squad

SPD Smith, AC Agar, GJ Bailey, JA Burns, NM Coulter-Nile, PJ Cummins, MR Marsh, GJ Maxwell, JL Pattinson, MA Starc, MP Stoinis, MS Wade, DA Warner, SR Watson

Hope this is played in the same way as the ODI's against NZ. Lets have a bit of crash bang and WALLOP!

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
England Squad

EJG Morgan, MM Ali, SW Billings, JC Buttler, ST Finn, AD Hales, LE Plunkett, AU Rashid, JJ Roy, BA Stokes, JWA Taylor, DJ Willey, CR Woakes, MA Wood

Australia Squad

SPD Smith, AC Agar, GJ Bailey, JA Burns, NM Coulter-Nile, PJ Cummins, MR Marsh, GJ Maxwell, JL Pattinson, MA Starc, MP Stoinis, MS Wade, DA Warner, SR Watson

Hope this is played in the same way as the ODI's against NZ. Lets have a bit of crash bang and WALLOP!

Me too. Just waiting for my bro' in law to arrive with my ticket. Cool bag full of goodies and work phone turned off. Bliss!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No room for Billings, Bairstow or Willey (even with Root rested).

All 3 have a pretty good claim.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Aus going along nicely at 5 an over at the moment. 60/0 off 12

Can't help feeling that the selectors have lost their nerve a little. Woakes for WIlley doesn't make much sense to me

I think that they are rotating the bowlers - they need more than just the front line bowlers as experienced ODI players, given the possibility of injury, and it makes sense to give players time against strong opposition rather than saving them just for games in England in May against lesser teams, IMHO.

Hopefully by the time of the next WC/Champions Trophy they'll have a decent surfeit of bowlers available and they can pick according to form/fitness/conditions;

Broad, Finn, Wood, Woakes, Willey, Topley, Stokes, Rashid, Ali

Having said all that, I find the lack of a left-armer in today's team a bit odd. Sounds like Topley is about to be added to the squad, would like to see him play given how he got on in the T20 the other night.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Meh. Amazed to see so many paying attention to this.

I never understood the point of ODIs after a test series. They are so "after the lord mayor's show". Utterly pointless.

I never understood the point of ODIs after a test series. They are so "after the lord mayor's show". Utterly pointless.

But [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION], this is the new dawn, and England are actually half-decent at limited overs cricket" (he says, just before they lose every game in the series)

I am, genuinely, a bit more enthused about the limited overs stuff now that we actually seem to be playing the same game as the other teams (unlike for the past 20 years or so). And it's an increasingly substantial portion of international cricket, and I think ignoring or looking down on it as 'not proper cricket' is a bit cutting off your nose to spite your face on that basis. Would I rather watch or follow a Test match? Yes I would. But if the ODI wasn't happening I may actually have to do some work...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Totally agree - it only works as the appetiser, not the pudding.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I remember when we got SPANKED in the Ashes in 2007, did anybody care that we won the subsequent ODI series on the same tour?

No they didn't. People barely remember it. That sums up post-Ashes ODIs.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Agree to a point, but hey, I'm WFH today and it's a bloody site more interesting than sodding Bargain Hunt or what other drivel passes for daytime tv nowadays.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Would I rather watch or follow a Test match? Yes I would. But if the ODI wasn't happening I may actually have to do some work...

Yes, that.

Totally agree - it only works as the appetiser, not the pudding.

Michael Vaughan tweeted something along those lines earlier.

ODI = Starter
Tests = Main Course
T20 = Pudding

(He's still happy to get paid to commentate, mind...)

Australia 6 down. Watson NOT out LBW! (Run out)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] England are actually half-decent at limited overs cricket" (he says, just before they lose every game in the series)

So half decent they failed to qualify from the group stage of the World Cup not six months ago

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here