Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Importance of September and October

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Great to be top of the league but historically the charge for auto promo places really starts post the break.

The auto promoted teams have the following points/games records in those two months for last four seasons:

14/15
Bournemouth 17 points from 9 games
Watford 14 from 9

13/14
Leicester 19 from 8
Burnley 22 from 8

12/13
Cardiff 24 from 9
Hull 18 from 9

11/12
Reading 12 from 9
Soton 18 from 9

Average is 2.06 points per game, more than the average for the season as a whole for auto promoted teams. Only Reading and Watford (who had a good August) in last 4 seasons have managed auto promo without being at least very close to 2 points per game in Sept/Oct.

Our record in October is dismal beyond belief - has to change if we are to be serious contenders.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
The pivotal moment will be the midway point, September the 30th. The Captain has form for saying that it will never never do, as the Big Ship sails.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Great to be top of the league but historically the charge for auto promo places really starts post the break.

The auto promoted teams have the following points/games records in those two months for last four seasons:

14/15
Bournemouth 17 points from 9 games
Watford 14 from 9

13/14
Leicester 19 from 8
Burnley 22 from 8

12/13
Cardiff 24 from 9
Hull 18 from 9

11/12
Reading 12 from 9
Soton 18 from 9

Average is 2.06 points per game, more than the average for the season as a whole for auto promoted teams. Only Reading and Watford (who had a good August) in last 4 seasons have managed auto promo without being at least very close to 2 points per game in Sept/Oct.

Our record in October is dismal beyond belief - has to change if we are to be serious contenders.

Presumably there were lots that fell away too ... would be good to see how the teams with similar points (at the same time as you took those readings) got on

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Personally, I think those stats tell us very, very little. It's a 9 or so month season and you have to be consistent through it all. I also am not even considering us promotion contenders - if we're still up there in 3 months then yes we can dream. Think some are jumping the gun a tad - will be the same ones moaning when we inevitably go on a losing run (not a dig at you OP!)...

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Personally, I think those stats tell us very, very little. It's a 9 or so month season and you have to be consistent through it all. I also am not even considering us promotion contenders - if we're still up there in 3 months then yes we can dream. Think some are jumping the gun a tad - will be the same ones moaning when we inevitably go on a losing run (not a dig at you OP!)...

I agree, the September and October fixtures are no more, no less important than those during the Christmas period, those near the end of the season around Easter time, and those right at the start in August. Otherwise, you'd be implying that there is an excuse to take our foot off the gas for certain months and this will lead to complacency. Every game and of course every point is vital. If we are up there with the play-off / promotion contenders come May, we will look back on each of these games and grateful for the points we managed to win.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I agree, the September and October fixtures are no more, no less important than those during the Christmas period, those near the end of the season around Easter time, and those right at the start in August. Otherwise, you'd be implying that there is an excuse to take our foot off the gas for certain months and this will lead to complacency. Every game and of course every point is vital. If we are up there with the play-off / promotion contenders come May, we will look back on each of these games and grateful for the points we managed to win.

Yep - Our biggest month when we won league 1 which essentially sealed promotion was the March 8/8 one...

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Yep - Our biggest month when we won league 1 which essentially sealed promotion was the March 8/8 one...

One of the highlights of that season, was watching Adkin's face at Dagenham & Redbridge, when we won yet again.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
How did you see his face, was he at the game? I would have paid money to see that :laugh:

He was. We were behind the goal, but he had to walk in front of the stand to our right, 10 minutes before the end, as the exit was near our stand. He left to a chorus of 'Keeping up, are you keeping up'. Andy Crosby was walking behind him, a big grin his face.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here