Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Loyalty schemes blasted by football fans

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Supporters at Premier League club Crystal Palace say there is more incentive to buy replica kits than go to away matches.

Loyalty points help fans secure tickets for key fixtures but fans at Spurs, Bournemouth and Southampton are also unhappy with their schemes.

Palace fans accused their club of measuring loyalty in terms of how many burgers or replica kits they have bought rather than whether a supporter has regularly travelled to away games.

On the Eagles Beak website, Crystal Palace fans say they earn more points buying shirts than attending matches.

Source: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/461943/Football-fans-loyalty-schemes-clubs

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Has the BBS main screen started flashing yet, so they can all come over and say how great their club is ? ???

:lolol:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Personally I think "loyalty" points should be like air miles, with midweek match bonuses. A fan who travels to Huddersfield (from Sussex) on a Tuesday night, or through the night to get to a 12.15 ko in Middlesborough deserves far more loyalty points than one who just turns up at five to three for a home match.

Yes I realise away fans only contribute their £1 booking fee to the club (although they are also far more likely to buy an away shirt)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Personally I think "loyalty" points should be like air miles, with midweek match bonuses. A fan who travels to Huddersfield (from Sussex) on a Tuesday night, or through the night to get to a 12.15 ko in Middlesborough deserves far more loyalty points than one who just turns up at five to three for a home match.

Yes I realise away fans only contribute their £1 booking fee to the club (although they are also far more likely to buy an away shirt)

They wouldn't know where you started from. By your system, an Albion fan who lives in the NE, would be deemed 'more loyal' for attending Boro away, than a Sussex based fan attending 5 London aways.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
They wouldn't know where you started from. By your system, an Albion fan who lives in the NE, would be deemed 'more loyal' for attending Boro away, than a Sussex based fan attending 5 London aways.

Each fan would have a tracker fitted to their scarf and their phone would collate the data and some computer geek could develop software to track the fan from their registered home address to the away game.

I'm sure nobody would complain, its just the modern equivalent of those membership cards in the 80's and nobody minded then.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Each fan would have a tracker fitted to their scarf and their phone would collate the data and some computer geek could develop software to track the fan from their registered home address to the away game.

I'm sure nobody would complain, its just the modern equivalent of those membership cards in the 80's and nobody minded then.

Won't work - I'd just give my scarf to a mate and stay at home listening to Aspinall; I'd still get the loyalty points. I like the general concept though - it needs to be physically attached to the body - perhaps an electronic tag around the ankle or an implant in the upper arm?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I find the use of 'Loyalty' in this situation very depressing.

Give your fans Seagulls Points, Palace Points, whatever... but implying 'Loyalty' is just wrong.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Good to reward fans for travelling to away games but if they never attend home games they should have points deducted!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Have to agree that if loyalty points are about securing tickets for the biggest games, then loyalty points should only ever be accrued from games attended.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Won't work - I'd just give my scarf to a mate and stay at home listening to Aspinall; I'd still get the loyalty points. I like the general concept though - it needs to be physically attached to the body - perhaps an electronic tag around the ankle or an implant in the upper arm?

Good idea - a implant in the ink of a tattoo

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What about fans that have to travel a long distance to get to home games? What about those that are loyal to the point they would make the effort to travel such distances, but happen to be fortunate enough to live locally? What about those who are such loyal fans they have moved closer to Brighton/the amex so as to attend home matches more easily, even though it means a longer commute to work? What about rewarding their loyalty, eh?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Completely agree.

Home address on the club database?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Home address on the club database?

Too simplistic. Say you have two fans, both from Burgess Hill. One is single, got disposable income and goes to 3 or 4 away games a season, he can afford more, has the time too but can't be arsed. The second is married with a particularly bitter wife who doesn't like football, they don't have much spare dosh either. However this fan manages to scrape the money together for 3 or 4 away matches a season and he knows he's going to get it in the neck from the missus before and after he goes away. Clearly the second fan is more loyal than the first.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Too simplistic. Say you have two fans, both from Burgess Hill. One is single, got disposable income and goes to 3 or 4 away games a season, he can afford more, has the time too but can't be arsed. The second is married with a particularly bitter wife who doesn't like football, they don't have much spare dosh either. However this fan manages to scrape the money together for 3 or 4 away matches a season and he knows he's going to get it in the neck from the missus before and after he goes away. Clearly the second fan is more loyal than the first.
What about those that have thrown sickies, used holiday or dodged work commitments to make sure that they get to midweek games?

They may not have to travel far, or have a particularly strong work ethic, but they've risked genuine ramifications to show their support.

Personally, I have an intense dislike of the idea that 'loyalty' can be quantified at all, let alone based on your capacity to attend games or throw money at the club. It's probably a wording thing, call them 'reward points' or something and it'd be all good as I do belive that those who do make the away trips (I'm not one of them) should have some level of priority on other tickets.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

If the implant was in the brain the club could control the singing and get everyone singing GOSBTS with the right words. No one would complain, would they?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here