Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England call-ups 2015-16 U21 level and down, by club - Brighton in top ten

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I thought this was an interesting tweet:-

[TWEET]639086352005505025[/TWEET]

So far this season, from ages U-16 to U-21, there have been 126 players called up to the England squads. Albion have had four players called up, putting us at joint 9th position.

I can only assume that the FA have lost the fax number of the famed Crystal Palace academy.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Interesting to see RC Lens and Stuttgart there. But the graph shows that we definitely do have talent in the academy.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It's a pity none of our youth teams appear to be doing very well at the moment, poor management?

Tell you what: let's ignore the fact that Albion have had 3 players called up to the England U-21 squad, one player to the England U-16s (with two others invited to a training camp), 2 U-15 players invited to an England U-15 training camp, 1 player called up to the Republic of Ireland U-21 squad, 1 in the ROI U-19 squad, 2 in the ROI U-17 squad, and a 6-0 drubbing of Premier League Swansea City's U-18 side.

Instead, let's focus on two defeats for the U-18s and a couple of narrow 1-0 defeats for the development squad, and jump to the conclusion that we suffer from "poor management" at academy level.

:nono::nono:

You really are one miserable f***er aren't you?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Absolutely disgraceful effort from Man Utd.

Surprisingly impressive from Chelsea.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
To be fair, United's history of developing their own talent is second-to-none. However, things are not necessarily rosy right now, as this article explains - Manchester United are being left behind in youth development

Sorry but I disagree. Certainly second to Chelsea, Southampton, Middlesbrough, Everton, Liverpool, Arsenal, Palace...in fact second to most teams. I've said it before but I think when people praise Man U youth development they are letting that wonder-side of 93 cloud your judgement. Yes, 22 years ago Man U's youth squad was superb but that was early on with the Sky money. Since then, every superstar they've ever had has been bought. I'm trying to think of 1 England regular that came through their ranks since that side. Welbeck - yep, Wes Brown? nope - he's mainly played friendlies. Any others?

Ulloa's Soul Patch

The Cyclone!
Mar 5, 2013
Just above the chin.
Sorry but I disagree. Certainly second to Chelsea, Southampton, Middlesbrough, Everton, Liverpool, Arsenal, Palace...in fact second to most teams. I've said it before but I think when people praise Man U youth development they are letting that wonder-side of 93 cloud your judgement. Yes, 22 years ago Man U's youth squad was superb but that was early on with the Sky money. Since then, every superstar they've ever had has been bought. I'm trying to think of 1 England regular that came through their ranks since that side. Welbeck - yep, Wes Brown? nope - he's mainly played friendlies. Any others?

Not necessarily English internationals, but Gerard Pique and Paul Pogba graced their youth and they are considered some of the current best and the positions they play, they cocked up with letting Pogba go...But he has been something else for Juve

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It's a pity none of our youth teams appear to be doing very well at the moment, poor management?

What an odd thing to say.

At under 18 and the DS level, games arent focused on getting purely results, its a lot more about nuturing talent and helping players develop. State the obvious Munkfish I hear you say. Obviously a clear run of bad results with talented players questions may be asked, but it is unlikely.

You also need to take into account our Youth development has stepped up massively in the terms of opposistion they play and you have to look at the existing quality which we had before we made the step up. Without doubt this is under what other teams have already available to them and as such we have had to make signings to help support the talent we are bringing through.

Many players in our youth development will be brought in to make up the numbers and make us more competetive so to speak, see the striker we got in from spurs potentially the lad we brought in from Chelmsford. Yes its great if they come on to, but it is more likey they have been brought in to support the one or two players who will step up to the first team.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Not necessarily English internationals, but Gerard Pique and Paul Pogba graced their youth and they are considered some of the current best and the positions they play, they cocked up with letting Pogba go...But he has been something else for Juve

Pique signed for Man U when he was 17 and a half from Barcelona's youth team. Pogba was 16 when he signed, a deal shrouded in controversy and one in which Man U ended up paying a transfer fee for. I don't think Man U can claim too much credit for their youth development there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Pique signed for Man U when he was 17 and a half from Barcelona's youth team. Pogba was 16 when he signed, a deal shrouded in controversy and one in which Man U ended up paying a transfer fee for. I don't think Man U can claim too much credit for their youth development there.

Well, that is clearly true, but remember that the Albion % of call-ups that prompted the starting of this thread, is also doubled by the inclusions of Walton, signed for a significant sum at the age of 17, and Solly March (re)signed from Lewes at a similar age.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Well, that is clearly true, but remember that the Albion % of call-ups that prompted the starting of this thread, is also doubled by the inclusions of Walton, signed for a significant sum at the age of 17, and Solly March (re)signed from Lewes at a similar age.

A very fair point but I think that signing a 17 year old from Barcelona youth team and turning him into an international U-21 player is a world away from taking a player from Lewes and turning him into an international U-21 player.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Dont think I understand football anymore.

I thought this was an interesting tweet:-

[TWEET]639086352005505025[/TWEET]

So far this season, from ages U-16 to U-21, there have been 126 players called up to the England squads. Albion have had four players called up, putting us at joint 9th position.

I can only assume that the FA have lost the fax number of the famed Crystal Palace academy.

Of our 3 representatives in under 21s. one is selected after letting in over 10 goals in 3 games, another cant pass, let alone shoot with right foot and the other apart from fitness wouldn't improve my local non league side

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Of our 3 representatives in under 21s. one is selected after letting in over 10 goals in 3 games, another cant pass, let alone shoot with right foot and the other apart from fitness wouldn't improve my local non league side

Great second post. Probably dont bother with a 3rd.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
What an odd thing to say.

At under 18 and the DS level, games arent focused on getting purely results, its a lot more about nuturing talent and helping players develop. State the obvious Munkfish I hear you say. Obviously a clear run of bad results with talented players questions may be asked, but it is unlikely.

You also need to take into account our Youth development has stepped up massively in the terms of opposistion they play and you have to look at the existing quality which we had before we made the step up. Without doubt this is under what other teams have already available to them and as such we have had to make signings to help support the talent we are bringing through.

Many players in our youth development will be brought in to make up the numbers and make us more competetive so to speak, see the striker we got in from spurs potentially the lad we brought in from Chelmsford. Yes its great if they come on to, but it is more likey they have been brought in to support the one or two players who will step up to the first team.

It just seems a shame that with all the youth talent we seem to have involved at the moment given the international recognition they are getting it hasn't necessarily resulted in results on the field, yet obviously. Maybe as you say more adjustment is needed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here