Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How to win friends and influence people, by Joey Barton

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Burnley's new signing Joey Barton has described the chance for Premier League clubs to have signed him on a free transfer as a "no-brainer".

The 32-year-old midfielder was a free agent following his release by QPR at the end of last season when they were relegated, alongside the Clarets, from the Premier League.

One-time England cap Barton was linked with West Ham before moving to the North West and is adamant he still has what it takes to cut it in the top flight.

He said: "The reason I left QPR was to play in the Premier League. I felt I did well enough last year in a struggling side to earn another crack in that league. I think my passing ability is good enough to cope in that league. My physical output is good enough.

"That gets lost with me from time to time because people start worrying about the baggage and how you'll contribute to the group and how you'll react if you're not playing, which is lazy on their behalf. That's how I see it.

"I think if you're a Premier League club, anyone from 10th downwards, and you had the opportunity to take me on a free transfer it's an absolute no-brainer."

Barton spent four years at Loftus Road and claims he had to compensate for some players and staff at the club. As a consequence, the midfielder was not enjoying playing football.

He said: "It would have been an absolute fluke for us to have stayed in the league. I just thought I can't be part of this again. I've been here [Burnley] for just two days but I am really enjoying coming to work again for the first time in ages.

"The stresses of having to compensate for players or staff is a nightmare. As a senior player it is a really steep learning curve that you get, but you just want to concentrate on playing.

"It's probably a better fit for me here. It's not Premier League football, which I wanted, but the aim is to be there quickly."

:wrong:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You don't know whether to laugh or cry at Barton's musings.

Even given his notorious lack of self-awareness, I think "Signing ME, for a Premier League club, is a no-brainer" does set some sort of new benchmark.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"That gets lost with me from time to time because people start worrying about the baggage and how you'll contribute to the group and how you'll react if you're not playing, which is lazy on their behalf. That's how I see it."
He's mad, but I guess not as mad as Leon Knight.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Well, he's not as mental as Leon Knight.

Certainly true, although for any human being that is faint praise and not much of a recommendation..

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Funny thing with Barton is he never learns and sadly he seems to be the only person who thinks he is too good for the championship

I remember him tweeting this before nobody came in for him leaving him playing a whole season in the murky depths of England's second tier

449a4ff2fda93fb86abce9d15b7fc17e.jpg

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
If Joey Barton wasn't good at kicking a football, he'd be in prison.

GUARANTEED!

Jan 10, 2014
He'll be as good as gold for Dyche.

His two interviews since joining Burnley have been quite impressive. He's spoken about growing up in the last few years due to being a father and having a serious partner.

When he got hit on the head with the bottle at t'Turf he didn't make any fuss and just got on with it. He gives it and he can take it.

Obviously he's a bit of a gobshite and has a nasty past but he'll get a chance with me, only one mind.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here