Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Self: Croydon is "strange, poetic and beautiful"

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Will Self is such a prat. I find it very grating how he always uses three descriptive words. Croydon couldn't just be "strange" it has to be "strange, poetic and beautiful".

I bet his shit isn't "smelly" but "smelly, gruesome and pungent."

Silly ****.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The writer, who grew up in Finchley, is urging people to explore the far-flung reaches of the city ahead of a new festival celebrating life on its outskirts.

“The suburbs are inherently sexual, they heave and pullulate with sexiness,” he said. “I grew up in the London suburbs and of course I found them ineffably dull when I was a child but now I understand their excitement and their promise. This last summer solstice I walked to the high point on the North Downs overnight, an astonishing walk through the outer London suburbs of Shirley and Croydon, really strange, beautiful and poetic places at night. There is such a lot there and I think people are unaware of it.”

What a crock of shit...

Strange.... Yes

Beautiful.... Nah

Poetic..... Feckin grow up and stop being condescending.

Does this look poetic & Beautiful ??

Attachments

• uk_rebellion12-20-2011.jpg
    uk_rebellion12-20-2011.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 509

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Imagine he's just promoting this festival thing he's got going. There is a melancholy to these Surrey towns/London outskirts that I can see could be endearing to some but they are overall depressing places.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Imagine he's just promoting this festival thing he's got going. There is a melancholy to these Surrey towns/London outskirts that I can see could be endearing to some but they are overall depressing places.
Made even more so when you moved to one.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I've always thought him to be a smug, pretentious, irritating wanker.

This article has not changed my view.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I've always thought him to be a smug, pretentious, irritating wanker.

This article has not changed my view.

Same here and he fortunately disgraced himself on Question Time being totally anal as well

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'll speak up for him ... I find him very amusing, and as soon as I see his name is on the panel for QT, then I'm pulling my chair up, and reaching for the popcorn.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Will Self is such a prat. I find it very grating how he always uses three descriptive words. Croydon couldn't just be "strange" it has to be "strange, poetic and beautiful".

I bet his shit isn't "smelly" but "smelly, gruesome and pungent."

Silly ****.

You've only used one word there. Surely you mean silly, wordy, condescending ****?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'll speak up for him ... I find him very amusing, and as soon as I see his name is on the panel for QT, then I'm pulling my chair up, and reaching for the popcorn.

When he's on the panel with Dr David "did you know I'm gay?" Starky, its pretty much UNMISSABLE.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Exactly - he's entertaining, no doubt.

That doesn't make anything he ever says right, of course: in fact part of what makes him more entertaining is his permanently coming out with plainly silly/wrong pronouncements like this one (ref. just about everyone who's very loudly voting for Jeremy Corbyn for a very similar mindset).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here