Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea Loans

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Chelsea have 33 players worth nearly 100m out on loan.

Is this kleptomania, greed, stupidity, plain madness or a brilliant master plan to rule the world?
Most if them will never play a PL game for the club.
They only have 67 Premier League appearances (mainly from the substitutes' bench) between them...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Looks more and more like a speculative bubble over-ripe for bursting to me. The bigger and more impersonal these clubs get, and the more obscene the wages, the less people care - unless they actively despise them, that is.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The lad Nathaniel Chalobah is not yet 21. He's played in 166 matches (including 78 for England U-16 thru U-21) and has always been a Chelsea player but has never played for them. Now he's just been loaned out to his 6th club Napoli.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
These clubs are so scared of letting talent slip through their fingers that the end up hoarding vast swathes of young players. At least Chelsea send them on loan, Man City have literally hundreds of kids in their "Academy" and precious few will see first ta action at City. I'd wager that less than 10% will actually kick a competitive ball before 20.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
The lad Nathaniel Chalobah is not yet 21. He's played in 166 matches (including 78 for England U-16 thru U-21) and has always been a Chelsea player but has never played for them. Now he's just been loaned out to his 6th club Napoli.

Yeah, and I bet he can hardly wait after the following comments from their coach: "I don't know anything about the player. If the club picked him then he must have some quality. I train whoever the club puts at my disposal."

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO Chelsea adopt the atttitude of sign as many prospects as possible to stop other clubs signing them then when they have them pick and chose the best and either loan or discard the rest.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I read somewhere that it's not necessarily about hoarding players but was supposed to be a way of creating profit to offset FFP losses.

Buy young players, send then out to lower league, foreign or blatant feeder clubs who develop them and pay all or part of their wages with the view that they will appreciate in value.

If they get good enough for Chelsea they've bought a bargain, if not then they still turn a healthy profit by selling.

With the way transfer fees have gone totally mental it might actually make sense. Not that it'd be in any way fair if it was true.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They're owned by Chelsea, but they'll never be Chelsea players. Chelsea are a club who only ever invest in the finished article.

Who was the last Chelsea player to actually come through the ranks there and make it to the 1st team. John Terry ?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I read somewhere that it's not necessarily about hoarding players but was supposed to be a way of creating profit to offset FFP losses.

Buy young players, send then out to lower league, foreign or blatant feeder clubs who develop them and pay all or part of their wages with the view that they will appreciate in value.

If they get good enough for Chelsea they've bought a bargain, if not then they still turn a healthy profit by selling.

With the way transfer fees have gone totally mental it might actually make sense. Not that it'd be in any way fair if it was true.

Someone at Chelsea has been very clever in figuring this out as a revenue stream in the last 7-8 years. Kudos to them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It would be interesting to know how many of the 92 clubs in the top divisions have a current or former Chelsea loanee in their ranks. In terms of offspring they're the football equivalent of Genghis Khan.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Manchester City were punished (of sorts) for breaching FFP Rules in the past, and this summer they spent about £170m. I think it's fair to say clubs don't really concern themselves about FFP anything like as much as many fans think they do.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
They don't so much now that the whole thing is falling apart, but they clearly did and as mentioned this has been Chelsea's strategy for years now.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Apparently, each one of us is never more than ten feet away from a Chelsea player out on loan.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Any of them good enough for us? Bridcutt was OK for a while - he was ex-Chelsea, wasn't he?

Yes, and we have one playing for us now, by the name of Rohan Ince.

Edit to add, Leon Knight was also a Chelsea reject.

Last edited:

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

Exactly this, cannot remember where I heard it but they were saying it helps for them as they don't have the global brand of some clubs or the size of stadium. When you look at it that way it's quite a clever way of working it. The profit from some of the players is pretty impressive

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here