Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Replacement double glazing unit - how much?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I just want to pick the NSC hive brain.

The main double-glazing pane (inner) in my son's room cracked the other day, so I need to replace the unit.

I'm arranging for a couple of local firms (I live in Surrey) to come round and price up the replacement, but what sort of cost should I be looking at?

The unit is in a upvc frame and is approximately 1020mm x 765mm.

Thanks folks.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
You probably won't have to replace the whole lot, just the glass panel. Give a couple of glaziers a ring ( not the Manure ones) first before double glazing companies.

We had a couple replaced earlier this year where the main glass panels had misted up and it cost about £280 for both. Obviously it depend on the size of the panel.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Unusual for double glazed units to crack all on their own. Have you investigated why?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Unusual for double glazed units to crack all on their own. Have you investigated why?

I think, and the glazier agreed, that it was probably caused by heat getting trapped by the blackout blind we put up in my son's room. The room is east facing and there is no shade so it gets properly blasted by the sun from very early in the morning.

I'm going to have to have a conversation with Mrs Orange about how we approach getting the boy not to get up as soon as the sun rises in the summer months! :D

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Probably happened just after he noticed Palace were second in the premier league table

I genuinely didn't know that... shows how much I care about the Premier League.

No windows were hurt in the crafting of this reply.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
That sounds about right then - the couple of glaziers I've spoken to have both quoted in the region of £115 plus VAT to supply and fit.

DGU's with 4mm/18mm spacer/4mm Clear Soft Coat should be about £30 m2 so the units themselves if bought direct from a glass manufacturer would only be roughly £24 (maybe a bit more as I am basing this price that I buy glass at for the company I work for but should not be that different).

So the real question is whether you want to have a stab at fitting yourself (youtube is amazing!) if you are feeling adventurous!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
DGU's with 4mm/18mm spacer/4mm Clear Soft Coat should be about £30 m2 so the units themselves if bought direct from a glass manufacturer would only be roughly £24 (maybe a bit more as I am basing this price that I buy glass at for the company I work for but should not be that different).

So the real question is whether you want to have a stab at fitting yourself (youtube is amazing!) if you are feeling adventurous!

You are sh*tting me.

I've had a cracked pane for a little while.
I've left it well alone because obviously I couldn't possibly afford a replacement, let alone doing the job myself.

Is this really it:-

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You are sh*tting me.

I've had a cracked pane for a little while.
I've left it well alone because obviously I couldn't possibly afford a replacement, let alone doing the job myself.

Is this really it:-

I've had a few 'blown' units replaced by a company in Burgess Hill (DG is 15 years old), think they did about 5 last time of varying sizes. Once they measured up they came back in a few days, total job took about 30 mins and cost about £200 I think. Remarkably inexpensive and new units are indistinguishable from the existing ones

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here