Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Post transfer deadline day reflections

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
2014 - Tony Bloom: “As I say at the start of every season, we are trying to build a squad which has got the potential for getting promoted. That is our No.1 goal this season and I certainly think we have got the squad which could get there.”

Source: http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11448038.Bloom__We_have_squad_to_go_up/

2015 - Paul Barber: “We have done what we set out to do, which is give ourselves a competitive squad for the season ahead."

Source: http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/13639556.Barber__We_have_squad_to_compete/?ref=rss

A slightly more measured statement this year?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
My reflection is still as pig ugly as it was before the transfer window shut.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Fantastic squad assembled but still a little work to be done. We can't have Clunge at the club if Hughton won't play him so a loan out is needed when the window opens. We are also luckily without many injuries. We can revisit the likes of Calleri & Marshall in January if our scoring dries up but I don't think it will.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
A goal scorer short and a playmaker to enable us to switch our style/set-up.

Good overall though - top 10 and maybe enough to challenge for top 6

Happy. :lolol:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
A fantastic transfer woindow even if we add no one else.

Tex on loan would be very nice, Im probably getting a bit greedy though.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Certainly more measured. The most important thing from the window is that we appear to have got the players in that CH wanted and we now have a lot more strength in depth. Hemed and Baldock look very good together, Bobby is an excellent backup, we still have Colunga who I am sure can offer something as he did last year and then we have the 3 unknowns in Elvis, Hambo and Harper.

The most important thing though is the way that the team are playing - much faster, higher up the pitch and creating lots of chances. It is amazing what a pre-season can do with a manager that knows what he is doing - afterall, the bulk of the current team were all here last season, but have been transformed. If we can keep that intensity up, our new signings gel quickly and we are not plagued by injuries, there is no reason why we cannot do very well this season.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I am optimistic . Compared to where we were last May, we have quality options at full back and a choice of centre backs. There is already a good midfield. On the wings we have Kaz (scoring for fun) and Murphy ..Hemed looks good and we have to be excited by Elvis ... :ascarf:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Unless Crofts' recovery has gone very well, we need a central midfielder who can play in a 4 man midfield to cover an injury to Stephens or Kayal.

It would also be good to get a striker in on a 93-day loan from October to take us into the January window ( when it can be converted into a season loan ).

Other than that, a great transfer window, well done to the club.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
2014 - Tony Bloom: “As I say at the start of every season, we are trying to build a squad which has got the potential for getting promoted. That is our No.1 goal this season and I certainly think we have got the squad which could get there.”

Source: http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11448038.Bloom__We_have_squad_to_go_up/

2015 - Paul Barber: “We have done what we set out to do, which is give ourselves a competitive squad for the season ahead."

Source: http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/13639556.Barber__We_have_squad_to_compete/?ref=rss

A slightly more measured statement this year?

Indeed and Barber is correct. Managing expectations. I love uncle tone but that was the most idiotic thing to say last year. A real Gerald Ratner moment. No wonder people were mightily pissed off as to how the season panned out after a statement like that.

At least this year its saying "no promises mind"

No. 25

Aug 25, 2012
Unless Crofts' recovery has gone very well, we need a central midfielder who can play in a 4 man midfield to cover an injury to Stephens or Kayal.

It would also be good to get a striker in on a 93-day loan from October to take us into the January window ( when it can be converted into a season loan ).

Ince?
Holla?
JFC?

Partnered with either Kayal or Stephens, I'm sure any of the above will look a whole lot better than they have done in the run-outs they've had in weaker teams this season

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ince?
Holla?
JFC?

Partnered with either Kayal or Stephens, I'm sure any of the above will look a whole lot better than they have done in the run-outs they've had in weaker teams this season

I hope you are right, but my view is that those 3 are more suited to a midfield 5 than a midfield 4.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
It isn't just the squad, you need the right manager and then to get it to work and that isn't an exact science, you just don't know until it works! I imagine 30% of Championship teams reasonably expect to be promoted. So far so good...............

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Ince?
Holla?
JFC?

I think partnered is the key word here. The Ince Holla JFC triumvirate has looked poor when played together, you rarely seem them in conjunction with one of the two senior players who may have a steadying influence on them.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008

We could still end up signing that Aussie CM who we were linked with earlier in the summer and is now a free agent. Loan out JFC for a couple of months, jobs a good'un

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It isn't just the squad, you need the right manager and then to get it to work and that isn't an exact science, you just don't know until it works! I imagine 30% of Championship teams reasonably expect to be promoted. So far so good...............

Expect? Really?

I would like to think most fans of most clubs who knock about the Championship recognise that it's so highly competitive, that the very best you can do is hope. There are very few clubs that have got out of the Championship the right way that didn't need a little bit of good fortune to compliment a competitive setup.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think partnered is the key word here. The Ince Holla JFC triumvirate has looked poor when played together, you rarely seem them in conjunction with one of the two senior players who may have a steadying influence on them.
T'is a shame we can't mold them into one centre midfielder.
Put all their individual attributes together and we've got the player we need.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I hope you are right, but my view is that those 3 are more suited to a midfield 5 than a midfield 4.

Isn't that because we have yet to see any of them play in a 4-4-2? I am sure at least 1 of those + Crofts would do well as backup. It is another unknown, but I am sure we have enough there to certainly get us to January - they can always look again then if none of this lot are good enough.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I'm extremely confident that we will have a top four finish this season. My only worry is that we are still suspect in defence. Hamed is beginning to show what he can do, Baldock looks a completely different player from last year, Stephens and Kayal are looking good in midfield, Kaz, Elvis, March and Murphy on the wings and with Hambo and Harper still to come, this is going to be an exciting season. It's nice to have Bobby back but has to ask how involved he will be? Bournemouth exceeded everyone's expectations last season, so can we. A win against Hull on Saturday, will put us 6 points ahead of them. Happy days are here again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here