Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I phone help please

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wife has an I phone 4 which has lost its ring tones. Son and daughter jn law both have I phones and tried to fix it mute button, settings etc but no joy so took it to Dr Ex in Haywards Heath who last week installed a new headphone plug/socket but they couldnt find thd fault. Phoned Apple shop in Brighton they said cannot take repair bookings for 6 days as full but if we go in and take the phone for the engineer to look at they may be able go fit in a short appoinment sooner.

Anybody got any suggestions, without the tones phone is U S cos not aware of calls or texts. Even considering buying a used one from one of the Cash Converters. Is it possible to connect to a pc and reload the software? Would be grateful of any help or advice.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
When you say lost its ring tones, do you mean it's silent or do you mean there are no ring tones to choose from under settings?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If all else fails email Dmitri at help@oncall-it.solutions, he used to work for Apple, he's a bimmin' genius and not an usurer neither.

M

Where is he based? After reading the advice and link given by Darren Freemans Per I have just tried it with earphones in and it is ok, so that would suggest that the new earphones jack inserted by Dr Ex is either faulty or not inserted correctly, i would think.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
In sounds is change with buttons turned on. If not turn it on and then turn the volume up when the phones ringing. My sons phone had this.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It is silent when I read the link it said if it vibrates then the phone is trying to play the tune and this is what happened.

I assume you've done the basics, checked volume with no headphones plugged in, checked the mute switch isn't in the silent position? Checked in settings that the ring tone isn't set to vibrate only.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You've not got it on Do Not Disturb, have you?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Not a help to you I know, but I've had the exact same issue with my 4s for a couple of years. For some reason though it's only intermittent, and I've no idea what causes it to stop sounding or indeed why it decides to behave normally.

You're not alone in your bafflement.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Where is he based? After reading the advice and link given by Darren Freemans Per I have just tried it with earphones in and it is ok, so that would suggest that the new earphones jack inserted by Dr Ex is either faulty or not inserted correctly, i would think.

It makes no noise upon receiving calls etc? Why on earth would the headphone jack be anything to do with that? Seems like your repair man knows how to replace jacks so just did that so he could charge you?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Anyway, on a more helpful not, try opening up the sim tray, clean it thoroughly, do the same with all access points.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
With the phone unlocked and on the home screen press the volume buttons up and down.

Look on the screen. What does it say when you are doing this?

If it says 'Headphones', and you don't have anything plugged in, then there could be something in, or some damage to, either the earphone jack or the power socket of the phone. It could be water damage or it could be bits of fluff. Unwind a paperclip and give both ports a good clean, dragging out anything you can.

If it says 'Ringer' then it suggests settings. Go into Settings > Sounds and make sure everything is set for it to make sounds.

One more thing: do you hear anything if you play music or a video on the phone?

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
can you see a tiny moon icon at the the top right of the screen?

If so you have do not disturb on which silences all calls etc

You can turn this back off under settings

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
With the phone unlocked and on the home screen press the volume buttons up and down.

Look on the screen. What does it say when you are doing this?

If it says 'Headphones', and you don't have anything plugged in, then there could be something in, or some damage to, either the earphone jack or the power socket of the phone. It could be water damage or it could be bits of fluff. Unwind a paperclip and give both ports a good clean, dragging out anything you can.

If it says 'Ringer' then it suggests settings. Go into Settings > Sounds and make sure everything is set for it to make sounds.

One more thing: do you hear anything if you play music or a video on the phone?
What he says !
I had exactly the same problem, and it was fluff in the headphone jack, a bit of digging around with a cocktail stick sorted it out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thanks for the advice she has taken it back to DR EX for them to sort out as moon not showing and works perfectly with earphones in but not without.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here