Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Newhaven divided.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I think they should have a statue of Stalin instead of that stupid cormorant.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Well she's really put her foot in it. A monument celebrating cultural links and paid for by Vietnam and she's complained that it's a waste of taxpayer's money!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its reads like she has responded to the complaints to her, which themselves have assumed costs and ill-informed. I confess i had a similar knee-jerk thought when i first heard of it, not knowing he'd lived/worked there.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
They should mount it on a plinth overlooking the West Beach, as a warning against French Imperialism.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
In an interview on BBC South East news today, local MP Maria Caulfield talking about the statue of Ho Chi Minh.
" Not a good roll model to have a communist dictator as the only person thats been relevant to Newhaven "

We could also have a statue of Wreckless Eric :D

And Lord Lucan.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Never mind international relations or some nobody local councillor's wrath.

Ho Chi Minh worked on the bloody Newhaven Dieppe ferry! Why is this not more widely known? It's like discovering Fidel Castro once had a part time job on the Palace Pier ghost train. This is by far the greatest fact I've learned in many, many weeks.

I'm going to make myself a cup of tea in my official HCM mug to celebrate this incredible news.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Emily Maitliss has just called Newhaven a city on Newsnight; Jokey piece from Stephen Smith making Maria Caulfield look stupid.

Perhaps Newhaven should have a statue of Charles Dickens who apparently once wrote in his diary of a walk to the town from Seaford and a failure to buy fish because it was early closing. I think his words were something like: 'It was an awful place. I shall never return.'

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps Newhaven should have a statue of Charles Dickens who apparently once wrote in his diary of a walk to the town from Seaford and a failure to buy fish because it was early closing. I think his words were something like: 'It was an awful place. I shall never return.'

And to think: as he left Seaford, he probably had such great expectations.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
And to think: as he left Seaford, he probably had such great expectations.

The thought of him expecting Newhaven to be good on the strength of the wonders of Seaford made me laugh before I even noticed your book title reference.

A Tale of Two Sh*theaps?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
The thought of him expecting Newhaven to be good on the strength of the wonders of Seaford made me laugh before I even noticed your book title reference.

A Tale of Two Sh*theaps?

:thumbsup:

Newhaven used to be quite nice, I heard. It's just fallen on hard times.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Actually, if the local council don't seize the moment and put "It was an awful place. I shall never return" in mirror writing on the back of the Welcome To Newhaven signs, then they're missing a trick.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Actually, if the local council don't seize the moment and put "It was an awful place. I shall never return" in mirror writing on the back of the Welcome To Newhaven signs, then they're missing a trick.

The road signs used to have 'Welcome to Newhaven: Gateway to Europe.' May as well have written 'Nothing to see: Don't Stop.'

Someone once told me that Newhaven, was cursed by a gypsy who swore that nothing begun there would ever be a success. Thanks Mum & Dad, nice location for a conception.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Never mind international relations or some nobody local councillor's wrath.

Ho Chi Minh worked on the bloody Newhaven Dieppe ferry! Why is this not more widely known? It's like discovering Fidel Castro once had a part time job on the Palace Pier ghost train. This is by far the greatest fact I've learned in many, many weeks.

And you can say what you like about Benito Mussolini, but during his time in charge of Southern Railways he made the trains run on time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here