Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bobby Zamora. It's time...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think most Albion fans will have concluded that we could have done with signing another striker in the transfer window, and today's departure of Chris O'Grady leaves us even lighter.

The fact remains that whilst he's shown promising signs Sam Baldock hasn't yet set the world alight. Meanwhile Harper and Hambo don't look like figuring until Christmas at the earliest.

If we look around us we see that most of the other big sides have reinforced well. Boro have bought Nugent and de Pena, Derby have brought in Butterfield and Bradley Johnson while QPR have held onto Austin and Phillips and brought in Angella, Hull have held onto Huddlestone and Elmohamedy and replaced Jelavic with Diomande so they will be strong.

What this means is that if we are to stay in contention then Bobby is going to have a key role to play from now on in.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I think most Albion fans will have concluded that we could have done with signing another striker in the transfer window, and today's departure of Chris O'Grady leaves us even lighter.

The fact remains that whilst he's shown promising signs Sam Baldock hasn't yet set the world alight. Meanwhile Harper and Hambo don't look like figuring until Christmas at the earliest.

If we look around us we see that most of the other big sides have reinforced well. Boro have bought Nugent and de Pena, Derby have brought in Butterfield and Bradley Johnson while QPR have held onto Austin and Phillips and brought in Angella, Hull have held onto Huddlestone and Elmohamedy and replaced Jelavic with Diomande so they will be strong.

What this means is that if we are to stay in contention then Bobby is going to have a key role to play from now on in.

There is also the loan window. . I think there will be a few disappointed. Prem players looking for regular football via the loan system

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I don't think it is all on Bobby's head. We are yet to find out how the strikers we bought in are going to perform. Hemed has already made a good start, Baldock looks like a new player, and who's to say Manu won't turn out to be a super star (no pun intended on his Elvis first name).

Of course they could turn out to be crap. The signings we have made this season seem to be such a step up in class and attitude, that I feel a lot more confident that if we have signed these players then they are going to be good. I base this purely on CH's first permanent signing being Kayel, can't say I had ever heard of him before he came to us and he has turned out to be total class.

CH also made one of his first jobs to sign a slightly out of form Kaz on a new longer contract. I have a lot of trust in his judgment.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is interesting how the Albion have done a complete reversal of policy on loans. Of the 12 players that have left 5 were loans (Bennett, Tex, Halford, Best, Carayol) and I believe all of the 12 we've brought in have been permanent signings. That contrasts markedly with other clubs like Middlesbrough that have made full use of the loans system, already bringing in 5 for the whole season (Kalas, Fabbrini, Stephens, Amorebieta and Agazzi).

It would appear that we were interested in Vydra so the club appears open to a loan but I suspect only for a special case. I could see Hughton having a good look at Zamora now, then assessing the capabilities of Harper when he is fit. The question is can we maintain this league-leading form without a proven striker at this level? Hemed over his career is a 1 in 4 striker while Baldock - to me - doesn't look like he'll score 15+ goals in this division (although I agree there are signs of improvement).

Feb 14, 2010

Well I hope he was not signed to cut the oranges at half time. Understand the concern tho', he's getting on and has been injury prone. We shall see.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Until we get a loan striker in, we'll have to rely on Colunga as pick 4 ( or 5 if Elvis plays as a striker rather than a winger ).

No idea what has gone on with him, or whether he has fallen so far out of favour that we'll never see him again in the stripes.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As regards Sam Baldock, I'm unable to see the games, but the consensus seems to be that he has been very good for us this season. A lot of positive things being said. I know he's not putting them away regularly, but surely he's made a major contribution towards our start this year ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well I hope he was not signed to cut the oranges at half time. Understand the concern tho', he's getting on and has been injury prone. We shall see.

With his age and injury record I'm not sure what the realistic expectation was from Bobby - it will vary hugely from fan to fan. For me it was third choice striker to start with, regular bench appearances on for whoever was most knackered out of Hemed and Baldock, chipping in with 9 or 10 goals over the course of the season with the odd injury niggle here and there. But right now it looks as though his role might be bigger than that.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bobby is certainly going to have a role to play but he has to be ready, we don't want another Vicente on our hands - everyone's hero, but hardly plays and therefore little impact on the season.

I would love to have seen Vydra here, think he could have been a key in almost guaranteeing a top-six finish. The fact that Reading got him amid fierce competition, paying a one-off £2.5million loan fee plus the wages shows their Thai owners are starting to get serious. Reading have had a blinding last couple of weeks in the window, by the way, one that could transform their season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here