Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richard Beeching and the effects of his report.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just back from Llanbedr (Nr Barmouth) and no doubt a fair few user,s of NSC will know the area. So after looking up a few things one can see whats left of what once was a circle Crewe,Shrewsbury,Llangollen,Barmouth,Carnarvon,Bangor,Chester and back to Crewe has off which important links have gone. Thats even before you consider the East Grinstead-Three Bridges line. We have "Thinking outside the Box" "Blue sky Thinking" any chance of thinking Geographically ?:thumbsup:

theboybilly

Can't help but think the Steyning Line would find use now.

A direct (albeit quite long) diversionary route to London without a reverse move at Littlehampton for starters. With all the talk of up to 10,000 new homes near Henfield it would have to be a mandatory reinstatement before such a scheme got the go ahead. It wouldn't take that much to do either in the grand scheme of things.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
It wouldn't take that much to do either in the grand scheme of things.

Beg to differ:

1. Part of the Bramber and Steyning bypass would have to be rerouted.
2. The site of Henfield station now lies under a small housing estate, ironically called Beechings, which would need to be demolished.
3. Part of an industrial estate at Partridge Green would need to be demolished.
4. Another business park in Southwater would need to be demolished.

And that is just the section to Christ's Hospital.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Shutting them at that time in the mid 60's was correct.

The real travesty was not protecting the track beds from development for the possibility that they may be needed again the future.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Shutting them at that time in the mid 60's was correct.

The real travesty was not protecting the track beds from development for the possibility that they may be needed again the future.

Your first sentence I would question. Shutting some was undoubtedly correct. Shutting all was badly thought out.

Your second point is 100% correct. Very shortsighted. East Grinstead-Three Bridges is the best local example.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thats even before you consider the East Grinstead-Three Bridges line. We have "Thinking outside the Box" "Blue sky Thinking" any chance of thinking Geographically ?:thumbsup:

Beeching lived in East Grinstead I believe, he'd certainly have considered that

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Your first sentence I would question. Shutting some was undoubtedly correct. Shutting all was badly thought out.

Your second point is 100% correct. Very shortsighted. East Grinstead-Three Bridges is the best local example.

Well maybe not all of the them, the Great Central would make a great freight only route now and then actually had it stayed open.

Most of those branch lines needed to go, the Cuckoo line was barely hitting 250 passengers a day at the end.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Also to point out, Beeching didn't close a single line, it was the Government. Ernest Marples who was minister of transport at the time also part owned a company that built motorways.

The railways didn't stand a chance back then.

theboybilly

Beg to differ:

1. Part of the Bramber and Steyning bypass would have to be rerouted.
2. The site of Henfield station now lies under a small housing estate, ironically called Beechings, which would need to be demolished.
3. Part of an industrial estate at Partridge Green would need to be demolished.
4. Another business park in Southwater would need to be demolished.

And that is just the section to Christ's Hospital.

1 - not an insurmountable problem as it's only half a mile or so
2 - that's just it, it's a SMALL housing estate, people could be compensated and found similar or better housing elsewhere in the town at no real inconvenience
3 & 4 - these industrial units are probably the easiest fix as the are cheaply-built prefabricated buildings mainly.

All it needs is a bit of will to get at least the southern half of the old Guildford - Shoreham route reinstated (not that it ever was a 'through-route') We can't keep relying on new road building projects, we are going to have to think ever more of rail as a solution, and re-opening old routes offers the least impact on (most) people's lives.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Can't help but think the Steyning Line would find use now.

Not so sure on that one. When it was closed the traffic on there was absolutely minimal. I think it was known as the 'Ghost Train'. I'm sure Steyning would benefit from a service, but even then that would just be peak times.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Not so sure on that one. When it was closed the traffic on there was absolutely minimal. I think it was known as the 'Ghost Train'. I'm sure Steyning would benefit from a service, but even then that would just be peak times.

I'm pretty sure I read that the figures were massaged as they were took out of school term and out of holiday season. It was used heavily by children to get to school.

I'll see if I can dig out where I read it.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just back from Llanbedr (Nr Barmouth) and no doubt a fair few user,s of NSC will know the area. So after looking up a few things one can see whats left of what once was a circle Crewe,Shrewsbury,Llangollen,Barmouth,Carnarvon,Bangor,Chester and back to Crewe has off which important links have gone. Thats even before you consider the East Grinstead-Three Bridges line. We have "Thinking outside the Box" "Blue sky Thinking" any chance of thinking Geographically ?:thumbsup:

Barmouth is such a strange place name for somewhere in those parts. I once drove all the way from Llandudno just to see the place out of intrigue.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Beeching lived in East Grinstead I believe, he'd certainly have considered that

Old friend of mine's Dad was Mayor at one stage. He said that Beeching had admitted to his father that he had shown an anti bias against his home town. The East Grinstead to Three Bridges closure was a howler.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
1 - not an insurmountable problem as it's only half a mile or so

Where is the road going to go? The only real route is around Upper Beeding and across the Adur flood plain to the north - quite an expensive undertaking.

2 - that's just it, it's a SMALL housing estate, people could be compensated and found similar or better housing elsewhere in the town at no real inconvenience

Except for the inconvenience of those being forced out of their homes - Forced repossessions are often long and costly.

3 & 4 - these industrial units are probably the easiest fix as the are cheaply-built prefabricated buildings mainly.

Still more money needed to pay freeholders and compensate businesses forced to move.

The outlay in initial cost alone would be very high and would detract from any benefits reopening the line would bring.

theboybilly

Where is the road going to go? The only real route is around Upper Beeding and across the Adur flood plain to the north - quite an expensive undertaking.

Except for the inconvenience of those being forced out of their homes - Forced repossessions are often long and costly.

Still more money needed to pay freeholders and compensate businesses forced to move.

The outlay in initial cost alone would be very high and would detract from any benefits reopening the line would bring.

I get what you're saying but in reality these relocations wouldn't involve massive relocations in any of these cases. The Steyning by-pass could surely be aligned along the railway somehow without being pushed further north. The residents of The Beechings could be found new (and better) housing not too far from where they are. As for the Star Industrial estate, there is land to move that to close by...lots of it. I can't vouch for Southwater but as that is a growing town there must be room there somewhere. Would it really be all that expensive in the great scheme of things? Times have changed and I think this line would be well used now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here