Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Derby extend their 'going for it' programme to 'really going for it'

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Tom Ince went for 4.75 million
Shackell went for 3 million.
Andreas Weimann: (Aston Villa, undisclosed)
Scott Carson: (Wigan, undisclosed)
Chris Baird: (West Brom, free)
Darren Bent: (Aston Villa, free)
Alex Pearce: (Reading, free)

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Honestly baffles me how Norwich's player of the year from last season has dropped down to the Championship. Great signing for Derby in Bradley Johnson for an apparent £6million deal but Norwich fans on twitter are not happy.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Probably better off saving half of that to pay off the manager when he gets the boot.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Underlying arrogance about this club .... hope they get stuffed this season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Spend all that money yet go for a rookie as manager instead of someone like Allardyce who would have been a certainty to get that squad promoted

Hold that thought.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Right now, it feels like Derby need a lot more than those two to get their season started.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Will give then something more in midfield but that's a massive outlay and I imagine some real hefty wages. I know they are being bankrolled by candy crush man but that seems bananas.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Of all the big spenders, I do think Derby fans "deserve" to see success the most. People forget that before Nigel Clough departed, they were bang average for years and years and yet their support patiently held up. Then they started seeing a winning team, mostly from cheap buys and home produced players and still refused to splash out for immediate success.

That said, I'm not convinced they've bought terribly well. For example, Tom Ince is talented but appears to have an attitude problem - he never lasts anywhere he goes. Butterfield is an expensive punt, Bent is a proven goalscorer but will be on ridiculous wages, and I doubt Pearce is providing much value.

In addition, Derby are already nine points behind the Albion (six behind second), and we appear to be going for it ourselves albeit on a smaller scale. Those players are already under a lot of pressure to deliver, and that does funny things.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Still think Derby will turn it around despite their poor start. I expect them to steam up the league. Do not understand why Johnson wants to drop a league down from Norwich though.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I still wouldn't be surprised to see Derby near the top of the table at the end of the season, under us hopefully.

I also think that I'd probably prefer to see them do well over most of the other teams in the league, I see no reason for malice towards them (not that it bothers me if others do).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Of all the big spenders, I do think Derby fans "deserve" to see success the most.
If they're sticking to FFP, then I have no complaints. I'm against all the cheat FFP, because it's, er, cheating! QPR are obviously the scum of the earth.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Derby near the top of the table at the end of the season
Despite their start, they're still 4th favourites.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Not only this season, last season they ended by winning about 2 in 12 games too.

Can't see them making play offs under current manager who would probably cost £3m pay off. Highest paid manager in the division I believe.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here