Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What does going out on loan actually mean?

wokingone

Jul 15, 2003
Exeter
Am I alone in not knowing terms of a loan? Does club loaning out player continue to pay wages? Does receiving club pay wages? Is there a split, does this vary from player to player? Will Reading pay Watford this huge fee and still pay his wages as well? Help me please

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
It all depends on the terms of the loan. Sometimes the club who own the player will pay his wages because they want him to have some first team experience, sometimes the club who the player is loaned to, sometimes it is a mixture of the two. Sometimes there is also a few for the loan. So the club who is taking the player will not only pay his wages but also pay a fee for having him on loan.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The parent club will invariably expect some, if not all, of the wages covered if it's a senior player. Young players on smaller wages aren't as much of an issue, especially if they're being loaned out because the parent club needs them to get first team football.

How much of a fee there is will depend on a number of factors but chiefly how much the parent club wants them gone versus how much the signing club wants to bring the player in.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
How would the O Grady deal work. Would they pay all my he wages. Also with O Grady the Notts Echo says that we paid 2 million for him. Wow.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
How would the O Grady deal work. Would they pay all my he wages. Also with O Grady the Notts Echo says that we paid 2 million for him. Wow.
As a direct competitor, I'd imagine they're paying somewhere about 75% of his wages or more... Whereas Sheffield United would have only paid about 50% as they were doing us and him a favour.

All that's a guess though, but I'd like to think an educated one.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There are also instances of the amount of a player's wages the borrowing club pay depends on how much they use him (done to encourage use of the player, i.e. you pay more if you leave him on the bench).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As a direct competitor, I'd imagine they're paying somewhere about 75% of his wages or more... Whereas Sheffield United would have only paid about 50% as they were doing us and him a favour.

All that's a guess though, but I'd like to think an educated one.

As Forest are on a transfer embargo due to FFP, they can only pay a maximum of £10K.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here