Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Have Manchester United conspired to fail to sell De Gea to Real Madrid?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Funny if so...

David De Gea's proposed £29m move from Manchester United to Real Madrid has collapsed because the necessary paperwork was not submitted in time.

No official announcement has yet been made by either club.

As part of the deal to sell De Gea to Real, United were planning to bring Keylor Navas in the opposite direction.

There is no precedent for Spanish clubs being given additional time to conclude transfers as there is in England.

Blame for the failure to complete the deal is already being apportioned.

Reports in Spain say United were responsible and that their paperwork arrived at Spanish Football Federation headquarters one minute later than the 23:00 BST deadline.
United say they have a receipt that proves they submitted the relevant documents on time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What would be the point? If they didn't want to sell, they could just say no. If they're seen to have deliberately bodged it, I can't imagine their player will be too happy, which can't be good for utd.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
What would be the point? If they didn't want to sell, they could just say no. If they're seen to have deliberately bodged it, I can't imagine their player will be too happy, which can't be good for utd.

I think the point is that they not have deliberately bodged it. It may be a genuine brain fart that sees them 29m down and with a very unhappy player on their hands.

In which case I will laugh incessantly.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Does seem odd. They certainly appear to have dragged their heels.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
theres no reason this deal, which has been on the cards for weeks, should be completed in the dieing minutes of the transfer window. so stinks of being scuppered. send the details at 22:58, knowing full well they will take a few minutes to through and processed the other end.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
The thing that gets me is that in this age of digital signatures multi-million pound deals are still being done by fax. While I know that legally (at least in this country) an email is not proof of delivery while a fax is, surely in the world of football there would be something where you could email the documents across then follow that up with the actual paper work.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The thing that gets me is that in this age of digital signatures multi-million pound deals are still being done by fax. While I know that legally (at least in this country) an email is not proof of delivery while a fax is, surely in the world of football there would be something where you could email the documents across then follow that up with the actual paper work.

Digital signatures are used in many business situations. Using a fax machine in 2015 is just pathetic.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Could they still send De Gea to Madrid on loan?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Digital signatures are used in many business situations. Using a fax machine in 2015 is just pathetic.

When I said legally I meant in the world of lawyers. Anything to do with court papers have to be sent either in hard copy or via fax. Though I can see no logical reason why a football players contract would need to be done this way.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think the point is that they not have deliberately bodged it.
That's not what Bozza said, he asked if they'd conspired to fail.

When I said legally I meant in the world of lawyers. Anything to do with court papers have to be sent either in hard copy or via fax.
You can scan documents and email them, which would satisfy a court.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
That's not what Bozza said, he asked if they'd conspired to fail.

You can scan documents and email them, which would satisfy a court.

Seems you are correct. Law must have changed in the last 7 years or so because the view was that an email was never proof of receipt while a letter and a fax where.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here