Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away Travel

SimonN1C

Aug 28, 2015
Hello all, regular visitor but 1st time poster here!!
Could you share what you think is the best way to get to away games, and the pros and cons of your chosen ways? I go to the easy to get to ones in London ect, but want to start travelling further away.
Train seems expensive to most towns, and the organised buses don't look like they leave much time for a beer with the locals. Just my initial thoughts. Advice is welcomed!!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Could you share what you think is the best way to get to away games, and the pros and cons of your chosen ways? I go to the easy to get to ones in London ect, but want to start travelling further away.
Train seems expensive to most towns, and the organised buses don't look like they leave much time for a beer with the locals. Just my initial thoughts. Advice is welcomed!!

With mates, on the train or with one poor sod as the designated driver.

GDC

In A Checked Shirt
Nov 7, 2006
On A Train
We usually charter a train.

Sent using Android ForumReader app

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Drive or get a train booked early.

theboybilly

I don't think there's a hard and fast answer. The train is best if you want a beer on the way there and the on the way back but engineering works can often upset those plans (eg Bolton on 26th September) Coaches are good value but I'm not one for long-distances by road. Luckily I get free rail travel so what I would spend on a train fare often gets spent on Friday night accommodation.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Train is my chosen method of transport. Gets expensive though- been looking up a group saver today for three adults return to wolves from south coast and it works out about fifty each if you get tickets from different train lines.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Train is my chosen method of transport. Gets expensive though- been looking up a group saver today for three adults return to wolves from south coast and it works out about fifty each if you get tickets from different train lines.

I think the trick for wolves is to get ticket to Birmingham as they are usually dirt cheap then bham to wolves return

SimonN1C

Aug 28, 2015
Thanks for the reply's guys, it seems Train is the way, but have to be organised, unlike paying £65 to ipswich cos I booked it only 2 days before.
A quick search I found MK for £8 each way from worthing, can't argue with that!! Are there any groups on here that get together to get good value on group travel? I assume the reply of chartering a train was a pisstake?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Not much help to you but I booked Wolves two months ago - today I booked Burnley :moo:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
There is that, but we take the view that it's worth taking the occasional hit of a wasted ticket for the big saving we get. Each to his own I guess.

Big saving? Mind sharing the level of discount you typically get? Do you just use train line, or do you research all the interim ticket options too?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Big saving? Mind sharing the level of discount you typically get? Do you just use train line, or do you research all the interim ticket options too?

£16.85 return BTN-WVH

2 x £4.95 singles from EUS (bought from Virgin Trains)
£6.95 return to St Pancras from Brighton (buy on the day)
Don't use the trainline as they charge a booking fee.

Dec 15, 2014
Here

So the fans need more training too.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
£16.85 return BTN-WVH

2 x £4.95 singles from EUS (bought from Virgin Trains)
£6.95 return to St Pancras from Brighton (buy on the day)
Don't use the trainline as they charge a booking fee.

thanks very much. Big savings indeed.

el punal

Plan your away trips well in advance, book your train tickets accordingly they tend to be cheaper but shop around. Don't go on the Seagulls Special charter train, it tends to break down at least twice in the journey and will arrive just in time for you to watch the last ten minutes of the match.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Does the A21 club still exist? Went to loads of away games with them back in the Withdean days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here