Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham toll bridge.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With the recent disaster and the gathering I do not wish to sound irreverant but is this bridge still in daily operation. I remember as a young lad it was the only alternative road route to Shoreham other than the Norfolk Bridge and was manned by 1 man each way collecting tolls. If so where are the access points now and can you still drive over it on a normal day.

theboybilly

At the eastern end it joins the old railway line (now the Downs Link) so only accessible from there or by crossing the road from the Red Lion. The western end approach is from that part of the Old Shoreham Road that runs past the main gate to the Ricardo factory. As has been said it's a pedestrian-only bridge.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
With the recent disaster and the gathering I do not wish to sound irreverant but is this bridge still in daily operation. I remember as a young lad it was the only alternative road route to Shoreham other than the Norfolk Bridge and was manned by 1 man each way collecting tolls. If so where are the access points now and can you still drive over it on a normal day.

It was a manner and manned by BR man in peaked cap. Dates to 1700's but bike and foot only since by pass was built.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's been pedestrian-only since at least 1976, no? Or, more accurately perhaps, was pedestrian-only between 76 and 81. Unless my memory is badly off...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's been pedestrian-only since at least 1976, no? Or, more accurately perhaps, was pedestrian-only between 76 and 81. Unless my memory is badly off...

It was refurbished in 2008, reopened by the Duke of York. It is only wide enough for cyclists and pedestrians. You can see the rails on the Shoreham side as you get to the bridge.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The Toll Bridge closed to motorised traffic on 7 December 1970.

theboybilly

Out of interest (I've only been a resident of Shoreham since 1999) what did the set-up at each end look like in day gone by? As it stands now if you could drive off the western end you would have a t-junction to negotiate (right to the mini roundabout, left to Steyning) or did the road have priority and go straight past St. Nicholas' church? This area must have changed quite a bit since they closed the railway. The level crossing must've complicated things too

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Out of interest (I've only been a resident of Shoreham since 1999) what did the set-up at each end look like in day gone by? As it stands now if you could drive off the western end you would have a t-junction to negotiate (right to the mini roundabout, left to Steyning) or did the road have priority and go straight past St. Nicholas' church? This area must have changed quite a bit since they closed the railway. The level crossing must've complicated things too
Eastern end you mean.

Aerial view in 1946 (click pic to enlarge)
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/geography/researchprojects/sussexairphotos/1940/17-5073.jpg

More views of the area
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/geography/r...index.html?COL=5+ROW=8+ZOOM=d+GPSX=-1+GPSY=-1

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here