Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calleri deal delayed until January?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hinted at in the Argus.

Could be similar to the problems signing Ulloa.

He was red carded at weekend for elbowing opponent in the face, so sounds stereotypically South American.

#BarberOut

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Let's focus on Vydra then. Can't be waiting until January we need the extra firepower now.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I thought the Ulloa deal was delayed because he didn't have correct passport etc? The word from Boca is that they are keeping Calleri until the end of their season (in December), will be interesting to see if we move on to another target entirely or try and get someone on loan until January.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
To me, Houghton sort of suggests that if Calleri deal stalls then he'll run with what he's got.

Boss Chris Hughton said: “If we don’t sign one more (ie Calleri) I’ll be incredibly happy with what I have got here at the moment, because I have a team that is fighting very hard and are very motivated.”

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I'm hoping that, if we don't sign anyone else, we will give Harper and Hambo a chance over O'Grady (assuming Baldock,Hemed and Zamora don't have an injury free run until January). Young players hungry to impress vs a striker who looks devoid of any confidence who did nothing against two league 1 teams.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
To me, Houghton sort of suggests that if Calleri deal stalls then he'll run with what he's got.

Boss Chris Hughton said: “If we don’t sign one more (ie Calleri) I’ll be incredibly happy with what I have got here at the moment, because I have a team that is fighting very hard and are very motivated.”

That still does not rule out a loan or a late bid for someone else though. It's a big IF

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Let's focus on Vydra then. Can't be waiting until January we need the extra firepower now.

In fairness. After the 20 something attempts we had on goal away from hom against top of the league, our firepower problems may well sort themselves out. I'm not sure what I'd do if we signed Vydra. Would be incredible.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Best of all, get Vydra in now, then Calleri in for January, just in time for a title charge and a fresh season in the Premier league where he can outshine his countrymen, Ulloa and Aguero. [emoji106]

Obviously though, it's not our money. [emoji38]ol:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
In fairness. After the 20 something attempts we had on goal away from hom against top of the league, our firepower problems may well sort themselves out. I'm not sure what I'd do if we signed Vydra. Would be incredible.

We played superbly but i guess that Vydra would have added another if playing instead of Baldock

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I assume a buy now and loan back to Boca isn't something we would consider or they would be interested in?

This is the preferred option if Boca want to keep him until December and we really want him, because if we don't sign him now one of two things are bound to happen 1: score a bundle more goals and price increases or 2: Bournmouth or some other no mark club hijack the deal.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Even if this were to happen well before end Jan deadline he will need down time for what would be his end of season break. Add settling in time and he would probably feature only for 20 games max. Worth the wait as this would be a coup, but possibly not the season game changer he might be now.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm hoping that, if we don't sign anyone else, we will give Harper and Hambo a chance over O'Grady (assuming Baldock,Hemed and Zamora don't have an injury free run until January). Young players hungry to impress vs a striker who looks devoid of any confidence who did nothing against two league 1 teams.

COG has done very well in the Championship games so far when he has come on for his cameo role of 15 minutes hold the ball up and keep ball when we are closing out the game. But Bobby is fit enough for that now.

COG's only chance of a game was in the cups. He sounds like a decent bloke who just wants to play football somewhere and sees his opportunities receding by the day. I know he's being very well paid to be a fringe of squad member but not a lot of job satisfaction in the reason he trains all week for.

I think he was just so desperate to suggest he could still play a part, that he overtried against Walsall and probably turned in his worst performance instead. Incidentally, must be even worse for Colunga, must have about 8 players ahead of him just for a place in a matchday squad. Delighted with all our new signings and their potential (by which I mean I've never or hardly seen them play, like last year's lot) but if I were them, I'd move on. Colunga especially is a decent payer and needs to be playing football.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
COG has done very well in the Championship games so far when he has come on for his cameo role of 15 minutes hold the ball up and keep ball when we are closing out the game. But Bobby is fit enough for that now.

COG's only chance of a game was in the cups. He sounds like a decent bloke who just wants to play football somewhere and sees his opportunities receding by the day. I know he's being very well paid to be a fringe of squad member but not a lot of job satisfaction in the reason he trains all wee.

I think he was just so desperate to suggest he could still play a part, that he overtried against Walsall and probably turned in his worst performance instead. Incidentally, must be even worse for Colunga, must have about 8 players ahead of him just for a place in a matchday squad. Delighted with all our new signings and their potential (by which I mean I've never or hardly seen them play, like last year's lot) but if I were them, I'd move on. Colunga especially is a decent payer and needs to be playing football.

I agree in that COG is good at holding the ball up when we're leading, but if we are chasing the game he must be one of the most uninspiring strikers to have on the bench. I still think (hope I'm wrong mind you) that Zamora will be in and out of the side all season meaning that another striker could have a big role to play. I also agree that COG seems to be an honest and hard working guy, but we need someone who can confidently take chances if we are to stay in the top 6 and he quite frankly isn't good enough.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I agree in that COG is good at holding the ball up when we're leading, but if we are chasing the game he must be one of the most uninspiring strikers to have on the bench. I still think (hope I'm wrong mind you) that Zamora will be in and out of the side all season meaning that another striker could have a big role to play. I also agree that COG seems to be an honest and hard working guy, but we need someone who can confidently take chances if we are to stay in the top 6 and he quite frankly isn't good enough.

I think we're probably saying the same thing. I don't think he'll find his form or confidence with us, and needs to go elsewhere to find it. If Elvis can also play centrally, we may have enough to manage and let COG go.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I assume a buy now and loan back to Boca isn't something we would consider or they would be interested in?

This is the preferred option if Boca want to keep him until December and we really want him, because if we don't sign him now one of two things are bound to happen 1: score a bundle more goals and price increases or 2: Bournmouth or some other no mark club hijack the deal.

I think Boca are banking on an EPL club coming in for him in January.
No deal now and I think it's one we will always wonder "what if?"
Virgil Van Dyke all over again. :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here