Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Sri Lanka

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Possibly looking into going in November. Just started researching it. Anyboby got any good tips on decent areas. Good beaches and local restaurants. Etc etc......

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Can't remember the names of the places although Im sure they're googleable - there's a section of river that's full of elephants that is amazing, also beaches on south coast are nice, tea plantations in the mountains in the centre of the island are worth a visit. The River House hotel - good place to stay for a couple of nights.
Of the cities I liked Kandy the best.
You'll have a great time if you go. Happy memories.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Possibly looking into going in November. Just started researching it. Anyboby got any good tips on decent areas. Good beaches and local restaurants. Etc etc......
My wife and I went for a month and had a fairly good time, ill look out some recommendations, however we found it expensive and there are far more cost effective alternatives if money is an issue at all, I've travelled widely with lots of backpacking and touring holidays and have to say I probably wouldn't go back but in the right places its a beautiful country.

Jan 31, 2009
Went there a couple of years ago at the same time of year. It's an amazing place. I would recommend the train journey from Kandy to Ella - it's very slow but the scenery is beautiful. Ella itself is a small village bang in the middle of tea country and worthwhile spending a couple on nights. If you fancy going on a glamping Safari, there is a great company that has a 2 night package all inclusive at the Uda Walawe park. We had a great guide and cook and the camp site only allows 3 tents max which means it feels very exclusive. You need to be careful as to which beach you choose as each part of the island has a different season. We went to Mirissa which was pretty good. You can even go on a boat trip near there to see blue whales close by. Galle is also worth a visit and a couple of nights stay. It's an old colonial town part way between Mirissa and Colombo. Hope this helps a bit.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We stayed http://www.clubbentota.com/ 5 years ago absolutely loved Sri Lanka - Flew direct with Sri Lanka airlines who were great - first time I had ever had a menu card in economy. You can fly cheaper but that involves a stop off in India. Very very cheap once you are there.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I went for two weeks in April this year and loved it. Paid for a driver who took us from place to place. Beautiful country and I did not think it was expensive really. If you PM me you can add me on facebook then look through all the pics if you like.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Went to Sri Lanka a few years ago and turned out to be one of our best ever holidays. I will look through my old itinerary later for names and stuff. But I remember the beaches south of Galle being lovely and the bonus of whale watching. (Mirrissa) Also the beaches North West of the capital (Columbo) were also great. The people were very friendly and not at all intrusive. I played cricket with some locals which made me look a bit of a plonker as they were all excellent players. Great destination

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I went for two weeks in April this year and loved it. Paid for a driver who took us from place to place.

We hired a driver when we went and it was a sound investment. Not only are they adept at driving through roads packed with suicidal drivers, they offer plenty of useful information on history and island culture. Do have a habit of making stops to various tea/jewellery/health etc vendors but just say a firm 'no' to driver when he suggests a stopover (although we did buy some lovely tea at one of them)

Also the beaches North West of the capital (Columbo) were also great. The people were very friendly and not at all intrusive. I played cricket with some locals which made me look a bit of a plonker as they were all excellent players. Great destination

We stayed near Colombo and the beaches were great. Make sure you travel to Sigiriya - it's quite a sight. We also got into a cricket match with the locals, some excellent players. Once they find out you're English, they'll want to talk cricket

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
I went for two weeks in April this year and loved it. Paid for a driver who took us from place to place. Beautiful country and I did not think it was expensive really. If you PM me you can add me on facebook then look through all the pics if you like.

Definitely recommend this approach too. We went through Elephant Island tours at holidaysinsrilanka.net . Fantastic knowledgeable driver showed us everything and they will plan a tour with you. Great value too

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
It's a lovely island but

Don't photgraph the locals as they will want 'baksheish' if you take a photograph of them with their elephant. Hotel staff are looking for tips to the nth degree.

The elephant santuary and the elephant bathing at xxxxxxxx are beautiful as indeed are the elephants, I had the joy of riding on an elephants head, an elephant who easily answered to her name and who stuck up her trunk towards you whilst looking for a banana(s) (don't bother to peel them)

As others have said, Kandy is very nice, the rock top fortress ( I can't remember the name ) is fantastic although it will scare the XXXX out of many given the somewhat dodgy access at times and with the wild bees nests.

Many happy memories of Sri Kana BUT

DO NOT GO ANYTIME NEAR THE MONSOON SEASON - We visited when the monsoon was late, comical, we sat in the dining room of the hotel with umbrellas whilst outside the drains were backing up.

But have a good one !

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Went to Sri Lanka to get married. Mrs Chopper is a Sri Lankan Tamil who has been in the country since she was 7 and has never been back so I thought it was the right thing to do (still not sure if I am actually married as a few incomprehensible words and a couple of palm leaves dropped on the floor and that was it, a couple of Kandyian dancers banging a drum and a trip along the beach at sunset on a back of an elephant for a reception)
Anyhows, so glad I made that decision as I thought it was a fantastic island. We stayed at The Triton hotel at Ahungalla (pre sunami) which is between Columbo and Galle. Nice hotel and beach with the most fantastic humble service.
Not worth going if you do not hire a driver and mini bus, we shared with 1 other couple (who turned out to be best man and bridesmaid) and went for three days staying at a hotel in the jungle (fabulous) Kandy and Ellia (tea country) all fabulous especially Kandy and the temple of the tooth.
We stopped off at ancient sites, spice gardens ,sigriya (crapped myself climbing the shaky steps) and elephant orphanage but there is so much more to see as well.
Best cup of tea ever, no milk or sugar, from the tea factory.
The drivers are so knowledgeable and the country is heavy with culture, religion and fantastic scenery. The people are humble and generous and seem to constantly smile even if they are sad and have nothing.
November is a good time to go but there is a constant monsoon depending on which side of the island you are on.
Down sides? Colombo is not up to much, you will see some real poverty in the villages as you drive through but even the school kids are immaculate and happy, it is difficult to get real Sri Lankan food in the hotels, although very hot it is loaded with coconut and delicious, and lastly (a real bugbear for some on here) it is not recommended to go outside the hotel at night because as much as most of the people are lovely the blokes drink arak and get very drunk.
Very highly recommended probably the best place I have been to.
Lastly, if you can afford it, we also spent a week on the Maldives for a honeymoon. As you are in that neck of the woods it is easily done with a short flight from Colombo.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Probably wait till Dec or Jan. November is pretty wet unless you are on the eastern side

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Went around 27 years ago, it was as to be expected quite primitive but superb experience.

Everybody will offer to help you however they will expect to be paid. The poverty then was quite frightening however as neither my girlfriend (now wife) nor I had never seen anything like it before.

Watch the "Save A Prayer For Me Now" video by Duran Duran and then go to Sygiria which is truely superb as was Kandy (we named our first dog after that city). The tea plantations are very interesting however when offered the option of taking a photo of 10 tea pickers I declined once I had totted up the fee for all of them to be tipped !

Be prepared for Buddhism on a scale you will never meet again, I doubt, Buddhas here there and everywhere, quite extraordinary.

The most enjoyable things we did was off piste so to speak and was a visit to a superb fish restaurant and a train trip to the capital Columbo.

My wife is blonde so every time she swam in the sea or pool it was amazing how many waiters suddenly appeared from nowhere.

As stated the Elephant Sanctuary is simply marvellous as was the site of enormous working Elephants on the roads and we also visited a turtle farm which was fun.

Also when we were there there was still a raging civil war and a days strike was called so when our driver returned back to near the hotel the car was stoned, which was nice.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
I have visited Sri Lanka 4 times, Mostly to watch England play cricket. Absolutely love the place.

You should try and spend at least two weeks on the island and split your time between three areas.

1- The cultural triangle. Visit Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa, Dambulla and maybe Anuradhapura.
2- Kandy and the Tea country. You should 100% get the train from Kandy up to Ella, Amazing views, sit on the right hand side of the train for the best of it.
3-Beach down south.

I would organise a driver to pick you up from the airport and drive you around the cultural triangle for three or four days. Then get him to drop you in Kandy for a couple of days there. Then get the train up to Ella for a couple of nights. Then head to the beaches down south for a week on the beach relaxing. The best time to visit is between December and March. The island has two monsoon seasons on opposite sides of the island. Read here for more information - http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel...ka:Areas.And.Seasons.And.Tourist.Climate.html

I have stayed on the following beaches down south. Unawatuna, Mirrissa, Tangalle, Hikkaduwa. All are great although I was in Unawatuna around 11 months ago and they were just starting to re-build the beach as half of it had been washed away because of some breakwater blocks had been placed in the water at one end of the beach. So not sure how that is going.

If you want somewhere a bit up market then stay here, Magnificent. http://www.thefortress.lk/

Our group hired this villa on the last trip there, £240 a night, which worked out at £30 a night each as they was 8 of us. The house is bang on the beach and you have your own chef that cooks up anything you want. His veggie curries were fab. http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p414998?flspusage=fl

Galle is also worth a day to wander around the Dutch fort.

When you have sorted out an itinerary post it up here and I will see if I can recommend some hotels for you. Or PM me.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I have visited Sri Lanka 4 times, Mostly to watch England play cricket. Absolutely love the place.

You should try and spend at least two weeks on the island and split your time between three areas.

1- The cultural triangle. Visit Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa, Dambulla and maybe Anuradhapura.
2- Kandy and the Tea country. You should 100% get the train from Kandy up to Ella, Amazing views, sit on the right hand side of the train for the best of it.
3-Beach down south.

I would organise a driver to pick you up from the airport and drive you around the cultural triangle for three or four days. Then get him to drop you in Kandy for a couple of days there. Then get the train up to Ella for a couple of nights. Then head to the beaches down south for a week on the beach relaxing. The best time to visit is between December and March. The island has two monsoon seasons on opposite sides of the island. Read here for more information - http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel...ka:Areas.And.Seasons.And.Tourist.Climate.html

I have stayed on the following beaches down south. Unawatuna, Mirrissa, Tangalle, Hikkaduwa. All are great although I was in Unawatuna around 11 months ago and they were just starting to re-build the beach as half of it had been washed away because of some breakwater blocks had been placed in the water at one end of the beach. So not sure how that is going.

/QUOTE]

Great advice. Those are exactly the places I was going to recommend.

It really is a great place. A perfect mix of mountains, beaches, wildlife, culture and food. The food really is fantastic. I could go for a curry with coconut sambal right now.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex

3-Beach down south.

If you want somewhere a bit up market then stay here, Magnificent. http://www.thefortress.lk/

Our group hired this villa on the last trip there, £240 a night, which worked out at £30 a night each as they was 8 of us. The house is bang on the beach and you have your own chef that cooks up anything you want. His veggie curries were fab. http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p414998?flspusage=fl

When you have sorted out an itinerary post it up here and I will see if I can recommend some hotels for you. Or PM me.

Thanks for the post. Most helpful.

Which of the southern beaches was the best in your opinion.

Looking for a nice quiet beach but not too secluded in that there are restaurant options around the resort. Been looking at the south and west coasts. I think we'll also look at more mid too late November and hope most of the rains have cleared.

Cheers

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here