Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
We've had a new stadium
Can't get much TV money as we are a boring team not worth showing on tv
We have brought around 11 players
4 managers in something like 4 seasons
AND being apparently bidding about £7million for an Argentinian striker

We always bemoan clubs for getting sold to billionaires but how rich are we?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We've had a new stadium
Can't get much TV money as we are a boring team not worth showing on tv
We have brought around 11 players
4 managers in something like 4 seasons
AND being apparently bidding about £7million for an Argentinian striker

We always bemoan clubs for getting sold to billionaires but how rich are we?

Boring, did you see yesterday's match?

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Just how rich IS Bloom?

Considerably richer than you...
752091-System__Resources__Image-857440.jpg

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
No one knows exactly how rich Bloom is but for us, rich enough.

The issue with billionaire owners is more where foreign owners buy clubs with no attachment to the local area such as Sheikh Mansour at City. Abramovich apparently wasn't even a huge football fan when he bought Chelsea. Bloom and his family have been involved at Brighton for decades so it's not just a business to him even though he does appear to be running it very well as one, along with Barber. Steve Gibson the Middlesborough chairman strikes me as from a similar mould although potentially not as wealthy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You will never find out but the answer is clearly "rich enough to afford all that and keep the club afloat". If I was taking a guess I'd say far less than the Arabs but considerably richer than most Championship owners.

A better question is "is this a change in tactics" to which I would undoubtedly say yes. With FFP relaxed we are really going for it - a perfect storm of increased TV money in the Prem, FFP changing and 1901 deals about to run out mean we can't afford not to.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
El Pres suggested in one of his finance articles that Bloom could have invested three times the amount he has in the Albion, without feeling the pinch.

In any event, you don't invest over 200 million quid and growing without having several times more than that.

I would guess (and lets face it that's all we can do) that his asset column adds to more than a billion,

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
With FFP relaxed we are really going for it - a perfect storm of increased TV money in the Prem, FFP changing and 1901 deals about to run out mean we can't afford not to.

Agreed. Out of interest, do you think "going for it" includes or excludes breaching the £13m FFP loss limit this season?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I know about just one deal he completed on that enhanced his personal wealth by 500 million so lets leave it at very wealthy. There's no need to worry. His investment, if that's what you like to call it, in us, is not going to hurt his finances too much

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My guess is we'll try to stay JUST under (i.e. not breach). But it's purely a guess.

I'd guess the same. So - could we agree on "Tony's going for it, but not REALLY going for it" on the basis that it's highly likely that at least three clubs in this division this season will breach FFP in their attempt to get promotion, for the same reasons we want to (absent 1901 renewals)?

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
So do we think that he, and consequently us, is one of the richer owners in the league, despite recent takeovers from wealthy foreigners who have caused the prices for footballer at Championship level to soar?
And, without trying to tempt fate, would it be enough to potentially keep us afloat for a few seasons at least were we to make it to the promised land?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I know about just one deal he completed on that enhanced his personal wealth by 500 million so lets leave it at very wealthy. There's no need to worry. His investment, if that's what you like to call it, in us, is not going to hurt his finances too much

and what would that be then? one simply does not do £500m deals in secret, so it must be public if quiet knowledge, so you can share this deal with the class. Bloom doesnt appear be involved or linked to any major busineses, thats a little odd for a billionaire.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here