Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4-4-2

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It's great isn't it!

Understandably there were many in here not convinced by these old fashioned tactics, but when you've got the players to cope with this formation (Kayal and Stephens) it's an exciting way of playing. I'm absolutely buzzing with how this season is turning out so far.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Formations go in and out of fashion and teams get used to playing against the vogue team set up of the day.

Defenders have probably got used to bring occupied by a lone striker so when clubs have a genuine 2nd striker it can cause a bit of panic as the back 4 don't effectively have a spare man.

The most important thing is to get 11 committed on form players to understand their role in a formation and you will get results whether that be 4-3-3 3-5-2 or 4-4-2

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
It's great isn't it!

Understandably there were many in here not convinced by these old fashioned tactics, but when you've got the players to cope with this formation (Kayal and Stephens) it's an exciting way of playing. I'm absolutely buzzing with how this season is turning out so far.

Got shot down in flames a while back from certain NSCers for suggesting 4-4-2 was the best way forward. I got told I was living in the past...........the games changed........etccc......

Got a good mind to bounce the old thread........:bigwave:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think the point is about the players you have in the system. Baldock's work rate means that we don't need to have a player playing off a striker, we can have someone right up top with Hemed but know that he'll drop off to pick up a holding midfielder, for example. Kayal and Stephens have the energy and ability to cover a lot of ground and are well enough in sync with each other that they can cover the role of 3 players between the two of them. Formations are one thing, but the players comprising the system are the most important thing and Hughton has built a good team around his formation.

It's a shame we never played this way with Mackail-Smith.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Got shot down in flames a while back from certain NSCers for suggesting 4-4-2 was the best way forward. I got told I was living in the past...........the games changed........etccc......

Go for it.

I'm sure some of the 442 knockers would appreciate the opportunity to admit that they were wrong.

:)

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
442, 433, 451, 4 our ahhhhhh! Time for my afternoon nap. Thanks for raising the subject of formations.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I think the point is about the players you have in the system. Baldock's work rate means that we don't need to have a player playing off a striker, we can have someone right up top with Hemed but know that he'll drop off to pick up a holding midfielder, for example. Kayal and Stephens have the energy and ability to cover a lot of ground and are well enough in sync with each other that they can cover the role of 3 players between the two of them. Formations are one thing, but the players comprising the system are the most important thing and Hughton has built a good team around his formation.

It's a shame we never played this way with Mackail-Smith.

I don't think CMS had the football brain to play in our current formation. Can't fault his pace, workrate etc but I just don't think he would have been as good as Baldock in knowing when to drop deep, take up wide positions, push forward. Just my opinion of course

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Terrible football! Watched the highlights on TV - that first goal. Bong must have kicked the ball the best part of thirty yards (forwards!) into KLL's path. Doesn't he know how to make short sideways passes? Where is the languid elegance of last season where the ball was passed from left to tight and back again across the back four? When we played proper football........
And KLL - what did he do? Did he turn with his back to goal, shield the ball, and wait for the midfielders to stroll into supporting positions? No, he just took one touch and booted the ball into the back of the net. Disgraceful. Crude stuff Long ball, one touch, hoof it in the goal.
Almost the same thing happened again later, but Baldock's effort went just wide, just proving that hoofball doesn't work. Bring back some proper sophisticated football, please! If we just want to see the ball moved quickly from defence to attack and straight in the net, shouldn't we be watching basketball?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Having the ability to play many is the key I think. We have switched in to 433/451 when winning games. 442 works great with Stephens and kayal centrally but if either were injured especially kayal I could see us drop in to 433 again

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I don't think CMS had the football brain to play in our current formation. Can't fault his pace, workrate etc but I just don't think he would have been as good as Baldock in knowing when to drop deep, take up wide positions, push forward. Just my opinion of course

I'm getting a little bit tired of hearing how amazing Baldock is, given how little he's done to justify so many positive opinions.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Saying someone is better than CMS, really isnt calling someone amazing!

It was more a commentary on the player ratings thread from yesterday, some of the praise is extremely generous in my opinion - but I'm all for this uncharacteristic optimism from Brighton fans! Even the season under Oscar I don't think anyone really felt we were much good.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
What place in the league do you think we would be playing your preferred style?

442 does still not provide as nice football as other formations with more in the middle. But that is just me.
We are doing well currently but I am not a fan of the shift in style.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Let's not pretend that our results are purely down to playing 442, you need the right players for it. The major tournaments around the world have been won with a variety of formations, including 442, it's just one formation.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

But the point that the OP made and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] was that you need the players and commitment to make it work. Spanish Dave, Orlandi and Bridcutt would have been hopeless in a 4-4-2 and under Oscar we only had one striker fit most of the time.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I got slated for loving the 4-4-2 as apparently it's a dinosaur tactic...What a load of balls.
Bloody great to watch and so entertaining...guess most wanted the boring sideways gus football that rarely had an end product.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I got slated for loving the 4-4-2 as apparently it's a dinosaur tactic...What a load of balls.
Bloody great to watch and so entertaining...guess most wanted the boring sideways gus football that rarely had an end product.

Let's see where we are come May. We're doing well now but once teams figure us out, which is very easy with 442, it will be different. If we have the players who can still outwit opponents despite a rigid 442 then fine.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Let's see where we are come May. We're doing well now but once teams figure us out, which is very easy with 442, it will be different. If we have the players who can still outwit opponents despite a rigid 442 then fine.

One of the things I THINK I'm reading in to this season so far is that the days of "We are Brighton and we play only one way" are well and truly over. We don't set up as 4-4-2 for the whole 90 mins, we go 4-5-1 if winning from about 75 mins. We have wingers who can play up front and a right/left back who can play right midfield brilliantly. Hughton is pragmatic. Should we get "found out" at 4-4-2 I would expect us to have plan A, B and C which was the one thing Gus lacked.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
This thread will be bounced a thousand times, because no matter what happens this season or next we will inevitably have a poor spell and the 442 haters will tell us all it doesn't work, dinosaur tactic....etc...

Every manager will have his preferred tactics and will try and purchase players to suit that style. As said before, a team that can adapt best to any style would be ideal but for now, were playing primarily 442 and were top of the league.... Tippy tippy sideways passing getting nowhere is as boring as watching paint dry.
Win or lose, gimme Yesterday's excitement and quality all day long. 442 is alive and well".........

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One of the things I THINK I'm reading in to this season so far is that the days of "We are Brighton and we play only one way" are well and truly over. We don't set up as 4-4-2 for the whole 90 mins, we go 4-5-1 if winning from about 75 mins. We have wingers who can play up front and a right/left back who can play right midfield brilliantly. Hughton is pragmatic. Should we get "found out" at 4-4-2 I would expect us to have plan A, B and C which was the one thing Gus lacked.

Fair points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here