Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Pardew,forget the Palace angle.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
After his treatment at NUFC with a chairman selling the better players and the way he handled the media over the Tyneside shambles and even at CPFC is Pardew again able to get a better performance out what was often seen as mediocre players ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
An intensely dislikeable character, but a very, very good manager who can cobble a silk purse from a sows ear.

Once our customary abject failure is confirmed next summer, Hodgson should very much be looking over his shoulder.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
An intensely dislikeable character, but a very, very good manager who can cobble a silk purse from a sows ear.

Once our customary abject failure is confirmed next summer, Hodgson should very much be looking over his shoulder.
And with a bit of luck, palace will inherit Hodgson.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Much as he is a complete bellend, he has done an incredible job there and signed some great players. Surely the leading candidate for the England job at the moment.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Is he really though? My primary reason for disliking him is his association with Palace but I've no real axe to grind with him aside from that.

He's proved himself to be a classless, foul-mouthed, headbutting thug on the touchline.

And I have harboured a withering contempt for him ever since he claimed that his team (Reading) were "the best team in League One" the season we'd won it by a street, and taken 4 points off his shower in the process.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Next England manager, who else is there ?

Eddie Howe, I don't know whether anybody has heard but he got little Bournemouth promoted on a shoe string budget :moo:

Not an obvious candidate but when discussions like this get thrown up, I'm always amazed that Gary Monk gets overlooked. Done a sterling job at Swansea after so many wrote him off.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
He always begins well at whichever club he is at. When things begin to go wrong, as they do at at times at all clubs, there are usually reports of split dressing rooms. I guess because, during more challenging times, some of the squad begin to see through his corporate management speak & positive thinking nonsense and begin to notice the thoroughly unlikable person beneath.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Pardew seems to be a very different character now to a year or two ago. I think probably because he is enjoying his job again, he's moved back to the club where he made a name for himself as a player and where he was greeted with open arms when he came back and was not regarded as a stranger who was treated with contempt.

He seems more mellow now and at peace with himself whereas I think at Newcastle some of his erratic behaviour was down to him constantly trying to prove himself to the Newcastle fans who just saw him as Mike Ashley's lackey. By the end, I think that job put him through the wringer and I dare say his family had to put up with some flak and so when Palace came calling for him it was likely to have been a merciful release for him.

At Palace, the fans will always really stay on his side because of his exploits as a player, not least that goal in the 1990 FA Cup semi. And because he is now much more relaxed as a person not constantly looking over his shoulder, this seems to be rubbing off on his players too who seem to relish being underdogs and going away from home and getting results against big teams. Their counter attacking style of play make them very dangerous opponents on their travels for anybody.

Due to his age and lack of alternatives, Pardew is certain to be on the shortlist whenever Hodgson leaves the England job, but although Pardew has said before he'd love the job, I think the level of scrutiny involved might not be to his liking. He's had a taste of it from managing West Ham and Newcastle where he's had a lot of hostility towards him from his own supporters, but that could be nothing compared to the hostility from the tabloid press he could receive after a couple of bad results in that job.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Pardew actually did very well at Soton and built the team that got them consecutive promotions. He's riding a wave at Palace, but this wave will crash soon, too much luck in to shorter space of time

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Is he really though? My primary reason for disliking him is his association with Palace but I've no real axe to grind with him aside from that.

I have, and certainly since that time he told everyone that Reading were the true winners of the league, despite the fact they finished several points behind the team that won the league.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Not an obvious candidate but when discussions like this get thrown up, I'm always amazed that Gary Monk gets overlooked. Done a sterling job at Swansea after so many wrote him off.

He is doing a cracking job at Swansea to be fair, he's still a rookie but my word he's carried on where Martinez/Laudrup/Rodgers were taking the Jacks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here