Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mick McCarthy on Brighton

ArnoldLayne

Jan 19, 2015
“I think Brighton are a good side, I think they played very well,” McCarthy said. “They started well, they were the better side and they got the goal.

“It’s always the same, I’m looking at it thinking we could have defended it better but if we’d scored it I’d think it was, and it was.

“The second goal was a great delivery, we didn’t get a head on it and it’s one of those that Gerks can’t do anything about.

“So, we’re 2-0 down and they’re playing well. They can keep the ball, we have to chase it.

“First half, I thought they were excellent, so let’s give them credit rather than attack my own team.

“In the second half I thought we started well. I know we got away with it but we were winging it a bit trying to leave three up with Didz almost in a free role.

“I had to, it’s not being tactically clever or being really astute, if you’re 2-0 down really you’ve got to get back in the game, I had to do something and that worked.

“When they hit the post, obviously we got away with that, but I thought it was a great response from my team, it was fantastic.

“It was just disappointing that when the cross comes in [for the third goal] it takes a deflection and it just wrong-foots our lads and I think Tommy’s going to head it except for the deflection. It was one of those days. We know how everybody else feels now.”

He added: “I thought Brighton were very good, let’s try and give somebody else a bit of credit because when we’ve gone away and won away I don’t say ‘Oh, by the way, the opposition were hopeless’.

“I tend to credit my team for playing well or if we’ve had to scrap it out I give my team the credit for it. I think Brighton deserve that because they were on top and they deserved it today.”

He outlined his thinking at the break when he switched Ainsley Maitland-Niles and Josh Emmanuel for David McGoldrick and Piotr Malarczyk: “Well, we didn’t want to go 3-0 down. We had to try and get the ball and play.

“They do it well, they sit back in and they don’t give any space in behind. That’s what they were doing. There was no way we could get up the sides of them.

“I put Didzy on to try and get hold of the ball a bit more, which he did, to be fair, and leave Freddie, Ryan and Brett up the pitch just as an attacking threat.

“It was [a good response]. We made a few little errors prior to their third goal and we just didn’t deal with it.

“Very often it’s the case that it’s not one glaring error it’s tiny little ones. We don’t clear it, we don’t deal with it. Didz came on and helped change it. I thought the substitutions were good.”

He continued: “You don’t see many games like that. They got 2-0 up and they would have liked to have shut the shop up and not concede, but they didn’t, and that was because of our reaction and the spirit of the players, the way they went at it. That was great, a real positive out of the game.”

Regarding referee Keith Hill’s decision not to show Brighton defender Uwe Hünemeier a second yellow card for his very high challenge on Ryan Fraser just before the break, McCarthy said: “I’ll answer that by saying that when I saw that he’d been substituted at half-time, that was of no surprise to me.

“I asked the ref coming on at half-time ‘Do you not think it was a second yellow’. He said he was going for the ball. I said ‘There were lots of times I went for the ball and missed it and if you kick somebody in the head…’.

“But I’m not bothered, I’m not bemoaning that, not at all. I don’t like seeing players sent off. It’s the rules of the game, I think. But it’s how we perceive it. He’d just booked him and it was one of those amber cards which could come out.

The Town players claimed a penalty when Lewis Dunk appeared to handle the ball prior to the spotkick which was awarded, but McCarthy said he couldn’t comment on the incident: “I don’t know.”

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
when's the last time you conceded 3 at home in a league game?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I've always quite liked Mick McCarthy and that shows why - tells it as he sees it irrespective of any bias.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I've always really liked Mick McCarthy. There appears to be nothing that he says or does that lacks copious amounts of common sense and class.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Always liked Mick although wouldnt want him here as not sure on tactics.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Not the first time he's been very complimentary about us. He seems like a good guy and he's also a very astute manager at this level.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Top man. Great to hear a manager credit the opposition rather than looking for excuses.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Hard not to have respect for Mick, wish there were more people in football like him. Tells it like it is..

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
It's always refreshing to hear honesty from a manager but so rare these days. Mick has always been like that though which is even more to his credit. A truly great bloke!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If only. If only. If only................ There were a few more like him.

Compare and contrast to the moron at Chelsea following a defeat

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
a classy response from a great guy

Very refreshing to see a report from an opposing manager after his team have lost, no excuses just credit to the better team on the day.

Dougie Freedman take note this is how you respond when you lose!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here