Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

National Health Service or World Heath Service ?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...off-145000-NHS-bill-after-birth-of-quins.html

A NHS hospital failed to chase up a bill of £145,000 it should have charged a Nigerian woman who had quintuplets after travelling to Britain.

Bimbo Ayelabola, 37, underwent a complex caesarean section in 2011 but did not pay any of the cost of the operation and neo-natal care for her five babies.

But it has now emerged that Homerton University Hospital, in east London, will not pursue her for the outstanding bill.

The hospital involved has admitted it sent only one request for payment, more than six months after Miss Ayelabola left the hospital – and had failed to take any further action when it was returned unpaid.

Miss Ayelabola has since returned to her home city of Lagos, where she is a successful make-up artist.

She said: “I have never received my bill. If I had it, I would pay it.”

It follows claims by NHS whistleblowers that managers are instructing them to turn a blind eye to health tourists because it is ‘too much trouble’ to chase them for money.

According to NHS estimates, only around 16 per cent of the cost of treating foreigners who travel to Britain to receive treatment is ever recouped.

London's Homerton Hospital Photo: Alamy

Miss Ayelabola obtained a visitor’s visa soon after discovering she was pregnant in 2010, travelling to the UK to stay with her younger sister, Stella, early in her pregnancy.

She gave birth to two boys and three identical girls at Homerton Hospital in Hackney, in April 2011 – seven weeks premature. She had a complex caesarean and remained in hospital for almost two weeks after the birth at a cost of £145,000 to UK taxpayers.

Although her visa expired, Miss Ayelabola continued living in her sister’s flat in Poplar, east London, after the births and did not return home until February 2013.

Miss Ayelabola’s children are now four years old and attending a private school.

She told the Mail: “What is it that’s my fault? I don’t understand.

“They blamed me that I came to the UK and I just came to use the system, which I did not do.

“If it (health tourism) is a problem in the UK, you should talk to the NHS. I have never received my bill. If I had it, I would pay it.”

She said that she was allowed to stay in the UK without needing to ask and without having to apply.

“I did not want to stay... it was just my situation,” Miss Ayelabola added.

It is understood Miss Ayelabola is separated from her wealthy husband, Ohi Nasir Ilavbare, but he is still involved in the children’s lives and is believed to pay for their education.

Miss Ayelabola is understood to have left the UK voluntarily in February 2013, following contact with the Home Office. It is believed she has been banned from returning to Britain for five years.

In the UK hospitals try to claw back the cost of treating foreign patients after they are discharged.

In France, Germany and Scandinavia, patients must pay in advance.

Official estimates of the cost to the NHS range up to £2billion but some commentators say the true figure is likely to be far higher because there is no proper recording system in place.

Homerton Hospital said it would not be contacting Miss Ayelabola for the payment, despite her assertion that she would pay up if she received a bill.

A spokesman said: “If she wishes to contact us, we would urge her to do so…. But we will not be contacting her.”

He added that Miss Ayelabola received a bill more than six months after she was discharged in 2011, which was returned to the hospital unopened. No further attempts were made to bill her, it is understood.

A spokesman for Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust added: "We hope the five children have prospered and are healthy. We would be pleased to reopen dialogue with Miss Ayelabola about her outstanding bill."

A Department of Health spokesman said: "It is completely unacceptable that people living outside the UK think they can abuse our NHS. We expect and are supporting the NHS to make every effort to reclaim money owed to it."

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
oh great let's have a pop at the NHS again shall we.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...off-145000-NHS-bill-after-birth-of-quins.html

A NHS hospital failed to chase up a bill of £145,000 it should have charged a Nigerian woman who had quintuplets after travelling to Britain.

Bimbo Ayelabola, 37, underwent a complex caesarean section in 2011 but did not pay any of the cost of the operation and neo-natal care for her five babies.

But it has now emerged that Homerton University Hospital, in east London, will not pursue her for the outstanding bill.

The hospital involved has admitted it sent only one request for payment, more than six months after Miss Ayelabola left the hospital – and had failed to take any further action when it was returned unpaid.

Miss Ayelabola has since returned to her home city of Lagos, where she is a successful make-up artist.

It follows claims by NHS whistleblowers that managers are instructing them to turn a blind eye to health tourists because it is ‘too much trouble’ to chase them for money.

According to NHS estimates, only around 16 per cent of the cost of treating foreigners who travel to Britain to receive treatment is ever recouped.

Miss Ayelabola obtained a visitor’s visa soon after discovering she was pregnant in 2010, travelling to the UK to stay with her younger sister, Stella, early in her pregnancy.

She gave birth to two boys and three identical girls at Homerton Hospital in Hackney, in April 2011 – seven weeks premature. She had a complex caesarean and remained in hospital for almost two weeks after the birth at a cost of £145,000 to UK taxpayers.

Although her visa expired, Miss Ayelabola continued living in her sister’s flat in Poplar, east London, after the births and did not return home until February 2013.

Miss Ayelabola’s children are now four years old and attending a private school.

“They blamed me that I came to the UK and I just came to use the system, which I did not do.

“If it (health tourism) is a problem in the UK, you should talk to the NHS. I have never received my bill. If I had it, I would pay it.”

She said that she was allowed to stay in the UK without needing to ask and without having to apply.

It is understood Miss Ayelabola is separated from her wealthy husband, Ohi Nasir Ilavbare, but he is still involved in the children’s lives and is believed to pay for their education.

Miss Ayelabola is understood to have left the UK voluntarily in February 2013, following contact with the Home Office. It is believed she has been banned from returning to Britain for five years.

In the UK hospitals try to claw back the cost of treating foreign patients after they are discharged.

Official estimates of the cost to the NHS range up to £2billion but some commentators say the true figure is likely to be far higher because there is no proper recording system in place.

Homerton Hospital said it would not be contacting Miss Ayelabola for the payment, despite her assertion that she would pay up if she received a bill.

A spokesman said: “If she wishes to contact us, we would urge her to do so…. But we will not be contacting her.”

He added that Miss Ayelabola received a bill more than six months after she was discharged in 2011, which was returned to the hospital unopened. No further attempts were made to bill her, it is understood.

A spokesman for Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust added: "We hope the five children have prospered and are healthy. We would be pleased to reopen dialogue with Miss Ayelabola about her outstanding bill."

A Department of Health spokesman said: "It is completely unacceptable that people living outside the UK think they can abuse our NHS. We expect and are supporting the NHS to make every effort to reclaim money owed to it."
the country is being run by morons, which ever party is in charge the current run of politician have no interest in running this country just the status that goes with the job, with the exception of Corbyn

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
This is what happens if you get rid of managers and admin staff.

But the article says that managers instructed folk to turn a blind eye! I think this has probably more to do with the lack of accountability of a huge state-run service, where no one really cares when it comes to money as the taxpayer will always foot the bill.

But the article says that managers instructed folk to turn a blind eye! I think this has probably more to do with the lack of accountability of a huge state-run service, where no one really cares when it comes to money as the taxpayer will always foot the bill.

Perhaps I should re-phrase my post.

This is what happens when you get rid of competent, experienced managers and administrators, and replace them with staff who are told that there is no future in working in the public sector.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the problem will be addressed only if we stop the principle of free at the point of delivery. you rock up to hospital and get treated no questions asked. if you want to restrict and control delivery, you'll need to restrict and control access. its not much of a problem (i bet near everyone here carries or can easily find their NI card), but woe betide the politican that suggests putting controls in place.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
There's a three card system in Spain. 1. If resident and properly in the state system you have your health I.D card and then all is free as in NHS. 2. If on holiday you carry an EHIC card [+ your passport to prove identity] and then necessary treatment is at any State hospital. 3. If none of these have your credit card handy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

This is what happens when you get rid of competent, experienced managers and administrators, and replace them with staff who are told that there is no future in working in the public sector.

That's an excuse for shoddy work?

D

Deleted member 22389

Takes the ****ing piss. People need to have insurance for this type of thing, that's £145,000 that could have gone on something else.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Or:

There is no need to chase this money because the hospital will receive it anyway, either from the foreign visitor who has used the service or from the Government should they fail to get the money from the person who actually owes it.

Why chase it up from the debtor when / if there is an easier way involving a lot less hassle to get it?

There is no incentive to collect this from the person who owes it following their use of our system (or no penalty for failing to collect it if you'd prefer) and there is also the attitude of, we have a budget we have to spend, what difference does it make if it is used to cover this bill or spent elsewhere, it still has to be used anyway and anyway, it's not our money.

D

Deleted member 22389

Cleaning an MP's moat or more Lords perhaps ?

And that's wrong as well, but more money goes on Health Tourism than MPs expenses. Let's look after our NHS not give it away.
My grand parents paid their taxes, My parents paid their taxes, I paid my taxes, we have all paid our taxes. It is not there for
people to come from other countries and use free of charge. Pay up because the NHS needs money.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
And that's wrong as well, but more money goes on Health Tourism than MPs expenses. Let's look after our NHS not give it away.
My grand parents paid their taxes, My parents paid their taxes, I paid my taxes, we have all paid our taxes. It is not there for
people to come from other countries and use free of charge. Pay up because the NHS needs money.
Exactly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here