Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Excited and worried by transfers

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Love we are bidding for top players but worried we are over stretching. Having seen other teams bomb out after going for broke, cant help but feel nervous.

Am I alone in this unsettling mix of emotions?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Not worried in the slightest. We have received some nice transfer fees in the past year or two, plus the add ons from the Ulloa + Bridcutt deals. It's nice to see some of the money reinvested in the squad, given how poor we were last year.

TB won't gamble with the clubs future.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Elvis is no Obika or Best.

And we are still in for Calleri, just ironing out sell on fee.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Elvis is no Obika or Best.

And we are still in for Calleri, just ironing out sell on fee.
Exactly, I'm really concerned the club is moving away from it's core beliefs.

Will it still be 'The Albion' if the entire squad is good?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Not worried in the slightest. We have received some nice transfer fees in the past year or two, plus the add ons from the Ulloa + Bridcutt deals. It's nice to see some of the money reinvested in the squad, given how poor we were last year.

TB won't gamble with the clubs future.

In the grand scheme of things, these fees are not as high as many are spending. It just seems that way because they are coming from abroad.

When CH signed up as manager all he asked for was a fighting chance of making it to the Premiership. He didn't ask for millions to be spent on one or 2 players. He came with a good scouting team in place who knew where to look for decent players at reasonable prices because he had 4 months to assess last years squad and he was having to keep clean sheets to pick up points to stay up. He knew that to have any chance of competing for a play of place he needed to improve his offensive options. That's what he is doing and at a lesser cost than say Derby and Middlesboro are doing.

Time will tell if he succeeds or not but I am becoming more confident every day because we are in a play off place already and that has been achieved without all of the new signings having even played yet

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not worried about over spending, Bloom and Barber obviously know their figures. Kinda disappointed this spree wasn't done when Oscar was the manager though .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not worried about over spending, Bloom and Barber obviously know their figures. Kinda disappointed this spree wasn't done when Oscar was the manager though .

Or last season when instead we paid through the nose to watch a bunch of loanees, freebies and cheapskates.

It's not as if any extra money has come in, this Summer.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

I know it's all hypothetical what ifs etc but whilst I agree with you from a pretty football perspective perhaps Oscar didn't have the contacts/kudos to launch the kind of swoops we're now benefiting from? Yes Burke may have been a drag factor but equally how do we even know he would have got these sorts of deals done?

It genuinely feels like an exciting time to be an Albion fan again.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I've been waiting a long time to see us sign quality youngsters with pace and at long last we are signing talent that will become big assets hopefully.

Very good recruitment this season :)

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I think Bloom perhaps trusts Hughton more than any manager we've had before, hence he's willing to splash out. There's definitely an element of worry that we are spending that sort of money but we are in safe hands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here