Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ref Hypothetical Question

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Simple one really

Would you rather have refs like they are now, making mistakes but using 'common sense"

or

A robot ref that would get every decision absolutely right according to the letter of the law but not apply any common sense?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
how about refs who apply the law consistantly? to err is human but there's too much variation even from the same ref in one game. there are also a bunch of laws and rules they just seem to ignore. not common sence, just poor judgement.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
how about refs who apply the law consistantly? to err is human but there's too much variation even from the same ref in one game. there are also a bunch of laws and rules they just seem to ignore. not common sence, just poor judgement.

So you would go the second option?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
how about refs who apply the law consistantly?

I would prefer it if refs "managed" the game so it flows better and is more enjoyable as a spectator sport. This would inevitably mean inconsistency though, as decisions will be taken more in the context of a match as opposed to the rule book. For example, If a game is generally being played in the correct spirit I'd start to overlook minor issues so the game keeps flowing. If the game wasn't being played how I want it, in the hope of getting it on-track, I'd speak to players before starting to issue cards.

So it's a "common sense" from me.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Simple one really

Would you rather have refs like they are now, making mistakes but using 'common sense"

or

A robot ref that would get every decision absolutely right according to the letter of the law but not apply any common sense?

It's not a fair question because refs don't use common sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here