Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Household Insurers - Who is Scamming Who ?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Household insurance renewal time at Cheese Towers - yawn. A timely reminder arrived in the post from my current insurer Esure, well actually two reminders that they were going to auto-renew my policy. Sorry correction they were going to auto-renew the two policies they believe I have and identical policies produced two quotations, with a price difference of almost £40. Last year's credit card has been cancelled, so good luck with that one Esure !

So I changed banks last year from the ethical but floundering Coop Smile, to the mutually owned and more stable Nationwide. I thought this was a good time to see what they could offer and there was a £50 Amazon voucher on offer, for new customers. so I got a quote, it was quite reasonable as well, but I forgot to tick the box for the Amazon voucher. So I started again, ticked the box, selected the same options as before and the quote went up by around £30. Thanks Nationwide :facepalm:

Finally I went down the comparison website route, where my cheapest quotation was from Sheila's Wheels. So how does this work then ? A brand that was invented to appeal to Women drivers, offers a bloke the best deal on household insurance ! Why wouldn't they just use another brand, within the same group ! The small print reveals of course that Sheila's Wheels is in fact owned by Esure. I can only hope I never have to lodge a claim with these hustlers.

In a previous property Esure insured our house and then refused to insure our car, as leaving it on the driveway, constituted an unacceptable flood risk.

Isn't it also about time that there was an opt out from auto-renewal on Insurance. It made sense and still does in many cases, where people would forget to renew, but for anyone even half tech savvy, it is a real pain, having to go through the rigmarole of phoning up to cancel a policy renewal, which is always more expensive than the same company will quote you for a new policy.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Arrgh - Having downloaded my policy docs from Sheila's Wheels, I have now set fire to my house, rather than face looking at those dumb bimbos in pink spangling dresses for a minute longer.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
trust me the story you've told above happens in every type of personal Insurance - go to a comparison site and I bet the top 50 brand quotes are with the same half a dozen Insurers ;-)

Should I also add that Insurers use sophisticated data sets to predict your propensity to renew based on your risk data - if the software spews out "highly likely" you're looking at a loaded premium, "less likely" and you get a discounted premium ;-) And if you are a new customer, they're quite happy to write it at a loss.......go figure!

and I wonder why I turned my back on Insurance after 25yrs in it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here