Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Palace. Hard to explain...

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
So the missus and I were talking last night about the recent terrible tragedies and I commented how Palace fans and even their Chairman had been the kindest with regards to messages and support.

She said "But they hate you don't they?", "Well, yes" I replied. "So does this mean they don't hate you anymore?". "Oh God no they still despise us... always will"

To a non football person it's genuinely hard to explain how it works. Palace hate us the most yet support us the most in times of need... and I'm sure we'd reciprocate.

We're a funny lot, us football fans..

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
It'd be unthinkable if Palace hated us to the point where they show no remorse/sympathy during this tragic accident

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Well they say there's a thin line between hate and love so I suppose it's not surprising from a biological standpoint. Fair play to them for all the support they've given. It really is quite touching how they, and other clubs (Horley for example), have responded.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It's a respect thing.

Like holding eye contact and urinating to assert dominance.

The truth is we love to hate each other, and I'd rather talk football to a knowledgable Nigel than some plastic City/Untied/Arsenal fan.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So the missus and I were talking last night about the recent terrible tragedies and I commented how Palace fans and even their Chairman had been the kindest with regards to messages and support.

She said "But they hate you don't they?", "Well, yes" I replied. "So does this mean they don't hate you anymore?". "Oh God no they still despise us... always will"

To a non football person it's genuinely hard to explain how it works. Palace hate us the most yet support us the most in times of need... and I'm sure we'd reciprocate.

We're a funny lot, us football fans..

Nah. Not hard to explain at all. It's all just pantomime hatred. My feelings for Manchester United on the other hand...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's not hard to explain at all. "Hate" is the most ridiculously over-used word at times. It's a football rivalry, not a hatred.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I agree with buzzor that it is pantomime really

Eagles

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It's a bit like the rivalry between England and Australia in the cricket. Most take it for what it is, a really strong rivalry where the desire to beat the other is paramount. Others take it too far.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
It's not exactly the only example and arguably it's less complex than many other rivalries where your boss, colleague, brother, wife, neighbour etc might support your rival team.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
As stated its a hate rivalry that we all love, think how boring the football would be if we didn't have different levels of hate for each team! I mean it'll be like rugby, SHITE!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Some of my best, most hated friends are Palace fans.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I live in a mixed household. We all just try to get along.

image.jpg

It's a respect thing.

Like holding eye contact and urinating to assert dominance.

The truth is we love to hate each other, and I'd rather talk football to a knowledgable Nigel than some plastic City/Untied/Arsenal fan.

This.

In the real world away from the keyboard I have several very good friends who are Palace fans, we take the piss out of each other constantly and have not in 30 odd years come to blows.

The plastic Premier fans I work with however are complete bellends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here