Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sainsbury's to raise pay by 4%

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The national living wage taking effect. Its their highest award for a decade. 137,000 super,arket workers feeling etter off today. Good work

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
So is this a pay rise above the minimum wage? If so quite impressive and I wonder what has driven it. If it's just an increase to bring them inline in the future with the minimum wage, what is the fuss?

NB. The national minimum wage is not a living wage. No matter what the chancellor wants to call it.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
So is this a pay rise above the minimum wage? If so quite impressive and I wonder what has driven it. If it's just an increase to bring them inline in the future with the minimum wage, what is the fuss?

NB. The national minimum wage is not a living wage. No matter what the chancellor wants to call it.

Then you will be happy Husty.

Its gone to £7.36 per hour against a national living wage requirment of £7.20 by April 2016.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Every little helps.

Oh.

Is it 4% across the board (to maintain existing differentials)? And does the deal go along with Gideon's divisive idea to treat employees under the age of 25 worse than those over 25?

I'm reserving judgment until the details come out.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I don't think he does call it that, minimum wage and living wage are two different terms, nobody equates them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the living wage is a contrived, artifical notion anyway. it doesnt reflect different costs of living or circumstances for many in the work force. a chap with a family in Brighton clearly needs to earn more than a single chap living in a flatshare in say Carlisle, before considering students and second earners in the work force.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Is it 4% across the board (to maintain existing differentials)? And does the deal go along with Gideon's divisive idea to treat employees under the age of 25 worse than those over 25?

Ok, i am fast becoming an expert in sAimsbury's pay award!

They are fo this for those above and below 25, they make no distinction (except for those below 18 on a training wage im their forst 6 months).

It is for store staff only, eg check out workers and shelf stakers.

Its is more of less immediate, starting this weekend.

The Co-Op did something similar and increased by 8% to aboce the nationsl living wage.

Great news

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Oh come on, we cant conplain about workers pay then not be happy when pay rises come through. They are now paid the most of the ig four supermarkets, others will follow. Small steps

Yes, a pay rise is good but with the cost of living so high its still more than likely just going towards over priced rent and utilities. If if was an actual living wage of say £10p/hr, a wage that would actually make a difference to their quality of life I'd be impressed.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yes, a pay rise is good but with the cost of living so high its still more than likely just going towards over priced rent and utilities. If if was an actual living wage of say £10p/hr, a wage that would actually make a difference to their quality of life I'd be impressed.

Agreed, it needs to be higher. A 4% pay award with inflation more or less zero and with no income tax paid until £10,600 this is a real positive

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Hopefully my rate has passed the £9 an hour rate now, new pay would be effective from Sunday as it's a new working period.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006

4% at this stage to band 2 colleagues (basically shop floor colleagues and delivery drivers and pickers and those who do standard jobs in the warehouse), not too sure what management (band 3 team leader, band 4 department manager etc etc) will be increased by.

we pay all out band 2s the same wage now whether they're 18 or 68

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Ha. Crumbs from the king's table.
The Tory's and their "living wage". They love to just name something and hope we'll buy it. Calling it a living wage doesn't make it so anymore than sticking feathers up your arse makes you a chicken.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is exactly what the Tories needed - a big UK employer to start implementing what Osborne encouraged businesses to do.

Excellent work by Tory peer Baron Sainsbury, President of the supermarket chain. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. It will be interesting to see the correlation between other UK employers following suit and the peerages issued in the coming 1-2 years.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Sainsbury's are known for spunking money horrendously.
Yes, good to give workers a pay rise but let's all start sucking Lord Sainsbury's helmet just yet, it's still a shit wage.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here