Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] MANAGERS' VIEWS: HUGHTON AND SMITH

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
CHRIS HUGHTON hailed the performance of Jake Forster-Caskey after Brighton & Hove Albion’s narrow defeat to Walsall in the Capital One Cup last night.
He said, “Jake was outstanding. Sometimes we prefer not to single out players, but I thought he was our best player.
“He was instrumental in a lot of things that we did, he’s a real box-to-box player and he’s a fit lad.
“A testament to him is that he hasn’t had the first-team action that he would have liked, but he trains hard every day.”
The Albion manager was unsurprised by the quality which Walsall showed on the night and praised the Saddlers for their entertaining style of play.
“I saw them play a few times last season and the manager has done a great job. He’s built something here with a lot of young players coming through.
“They play a very expansive, passing game and they do it very well. You’re not in the position they are in the table without having a good side, and we knew that.*
“We knew that if we didn’t apply ourselves throughout the 90 minutes then there was a chance we could get beaten.”
DEAN SMITH hailed Walsall’s second-half performance against Brighton and is relishing the prospect of facing Premier League champions and cup holders Chelsea in the third round.
He told the expressandstar.com, “It was a great result. I felt in the first half we paid them too much respect and were a little slow on the ball.
“They then went ahead through a very dubious penalty. But I think the result showed the resilience of the players.
“They created some really good chances in the second half against a really well organised team.
“We spoke about having more movement at half-time and we went on to score two really good goals. I thought we showed some real quality.”
The win ensured that the Saddlers claimed their fifth victory in six games in all competitions so far this season and Smith is eager to carry on the winning momentum.
“The lads have got a lot of confidence. I have a really strong squad of players at the moment with no injuries. I can pick a team I know is going to be competitive. It’s been a great start.”
[h=3]ALBION V HULL CITY**
[/h]SATURDAY 12TH SEPTEMBER, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]ALBION V ROTHERHAM UNITED**
[/h]SATURDAY 15TH SEPTEMBER, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

[h=3]ALBION V CARDIFF CITY*
[/h]SATURDAY 3RD OCTOBER, KICK-OFF 3PM

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here