Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dirty Brighton

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We seem to be picking up an awful lot of yellow cards this season don't we? Admittedly we've been showing a bit more grit recently, and are bound to pick up a few, but suspensions could be a worry in the not too distant future. I do sometimes wonder if referees have a rough quota of how many cards they like to give out per game, as it never seems to bear any resemblance to the "dirtyness" of the game.

Current tallies:

3 yellows:
Lualua

2 yellows:
Kayal, Stephens, Bong

1 yellow:
Baldock, JFC, Hemed, Bruno, Greer, Hunnemeir, Dunk, Ince.

Maybe it's actually no worse than usual, there just seem to be a lot of cards in every match.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes it is a good point. One of KLL's has been for petulance which is frustrating. If they are for slightly over-zealous challenges I have less of a problem.

Of course if KLL is suspended where are the goals going to come from ;-).

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
We are definately playing a higher line and pressing more, and closing players down more aggressively, must lead to more cards and then we tire second half leading to more desperate challenges and even more cards.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Last night was an interesting example. We picked up cards for cynical but quite minor fouls. Walsall avoided them for blatantly dirty/physical fouls. Same v Blackburn.
Referees' directive I suspect ???

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Kayal was kicked from pillar to post by Blackburn yet picked up a yellow for a few minor fouls

This was very much my view, too. He seemed to spend more time prostrate on the ground clutching his leg than running around - with the clutching the leg bit seeming to be genuine.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Trouble is Kayel etc are constantly in the referees ear etc and sometimes this works against.

Dont get me wrong i love Kayal and think he is just what we need but sometimes you have to wonder what is happening out there !

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I have no problem with picking up cards for fouls from pressing or game management to stop an attack where we are exposed. It's the silly ones for kicking the ball away, not retreating and dissent that are problems but we are mainly avoiding these (other than Baldocks yellow)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Football has gone so soft these days, I wouldn't be ashamed even if Brighton was considered a "dirty" team.

That said, we're not. We're certainly pressing harder this season, which is a positive thing. Picking up a few yellow cards isn't ideal, but it's part of the game and to be expected - it's just indicative of our change of style, rather than being dirty.

This. KLL is our only player that's picked up unnecessary cards. We want our team to press, and to jeopardise getting yellow cards, but never reds. That's the whole point of having a large and decent squad (see thread on 'Three Teams').

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I have no problem with picking up cards for fouls from pressing or game management to stop an attack where we are exposed. It's the silly ones for kicking the ball away, not retreating and dissent that are problems but we are mainly avoiding these (other than Baldocks yellow)

Ince booked for kicking the ball away last night :rolleyes:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Trouble is Kayel etc are constantly in the referees ear etc and sometimes this works against.

Dont get me wrong i love Kayal and think he is just what we need but sometimes you have to wonder what is happening out there !

The Nobby Horton syndrome is not a bad thing if you have the skill to run the midfield as well.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I don't think it has much to do with petulance at all and everything to do with our formation. Playing two out and out forwards and two wingers is very attacking, as a result we often see LuaLua playing on the line and Murphy/Solly coming slightly inside on the opposite flank. Our fullbacks (and Bruno is always doing this - under instruction no doubt) sit very high up on the opposite flank to where the ball is, this leaves gaps if a move breaks down and a team break quickly.

I've seen a couple of badly timed tackles by Greer and LuaLua this season, but several of Bong's, Ince's and Stephen's bookings have been tactical trying to stop a move while we've got bodies committed forward.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I've enjoyed it, we are far more physical this season. Last couple seasons, since losing El-Abd I felt we were far too easily bullied out of games.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I actually thought we had a ref that was slightly leaning our way for once against Blackburn, which is very rare at The Amex.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Nobby Horton & Jimmy Case would have been booked every single game if playing today.
We would be top of the table tho:lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here