Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did Chris Hughton do the right thing with his Walsall team selection?

Did Chris Hughton do the right thing with his Walsall team selection?

• Yes he did.

Votes: 111 59.7%
  • No he didn't.

Votes: 75 40.3%

• Total voters

North Stand Polls

Feb 25, 2015
For Walsall, Chris Hughton made ten changes from what was, presumably, a first choice eleven that beat Blackburn at the weekend, keeping Albion's unbeaten start to the season going.

With an international break approaching, players were facing only 1 fixture in the 16 days following the Walsall match.

Did so many need resting?

Sheffield United made it to the semi-final of the competition last season, whilst Bradford reached Wembley in 2012-14. Can Albion really afford to not bother with the League Cup?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The answer to this question will be provided on Saturday, if we come away with 3 points then the resting of players would have been a success.

No doubt most people are however disappointed given the draw that Walsall have for the next round, but the assumption must be that the club is geared to a more successful league season

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
No he didn't and it infuriates me to be honest. Should have made every effort to keep a winning run going. I think it was ducking moronic to be frank

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Imagine if we had played our first XI, Kayal gets injured and KLL gets sent off - granted its a worst case scenario. Then the same people moaning now would be saying 'it's a tinpot cup we should have played our second team'

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I voted YES as I think he needed to put on show some of the players we need to offload and some we might be keeping who need game time ....................it did not work, but I can understand why he did it

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Probably not but I really couldn't care less about the League Cup. Most teams play their B team, what is interesting to me, is that we now have proof that ours still happens to be a bit shit. Let's hope we can get a bit more quality in before the window closes as most of the guys playing last night are not going to keep us up near the top when we get injuries, suspensions and loss of form.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The team selection was fine. The players that failed to perform are to blame for defeat, nobody else.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Probably not but I really couldn't care less about the League Cup. Most teams play their B team, what is interesting to me, is that we now have proof that ours still happens to be a bit shit. Let's hope we can get a bit more quality in before the window closes as most of the guys playing last night are not going to keep us up near the top when we get injuries, suspensions and loss of form.

Problem is it's blatantly obvious that the B team wasn't going to be good enough. Maybe make one or two changes at most. Losing an unbeaten run far outweighs a few players being tired. Would they even be tired anyway, it's so early in the season.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Chris has a history of playing weaker teams and concentrating on the League matches. The squad at the moment seems to have a competitive nucleus of about 15 players. After that the players in the squad don't seem to be able to compete at the top of this league.

Wit so many games coming up he knows he doesn't want to get any key players injured because if they pick up a long term injury in a match like that then it could impact on the whole season. So even in hindsight and going out of the cup I think the correct team played.

Chelsea in the next round would have been brilliant though, so I am disappointed about that aspect of it

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Problem is it's blatantly obvious that the B team wasn't going to be good enough. Maybe make one or two changes at most. Losing an unbeaten run far outweighs a few players being tired. Would they even be tired anyway, it's so early in the season.

Any professional footballer will tell you that they much prefer 2 games a week rather than a week of training and 1 game a week.

If players can't play 180 minutes of football a week then they're in the wrong job. They only train a couple of hours a day for crying out loud and that's not every day if they've been involved in a match.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So we're at a stage now where players are needing to be rested after....5 games.

Mmmkay. Well if anyone mentions early season results while players still looking for "sharpness" half a dozen games into the season, I guess we'll know why. Because the first team are sat around picking peanuts out of poo while the stiffs make sure we don't have the "MASSIVE DISTRACTION" of being in a cup.

Win, lose or draw at Ipswich, binning the team last night will have had absolutely no impact on Saturdays result. It was a match at Walsall for christs sake, they're not on a plane coming back from Azerbaijan.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The team selection was fine. The players that failed to perform are to blame for defeat, nobody else.

Most of those players selected have failed to perform again.
And again.
And again.

That's why they're not allowed to play most weeks.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It was the right thing to do. We have a far more important 6 pointer on Saturday, and who knows who may have picked up a knock last night. And the players that haven't featured much in the league games (yet) will likely be needed over the season and need to keep match fitness.

The unbeaten run thing means nothing when 10 changes were made. In the two seasons that we reached the play offs, we lost in the first round of this competition.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yes. That team was good enough to win. It was the players' attitude combined with bad luck that saw us defeated. As so often happens in cup matches between teams in different divisions.

I'm pleasantly surprised that most people agree with me based on the early poll results.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I have no problem with the side selected. It was good enough to win the game and we might well have got through if we did not miss that penalty. Further there is no guarantee that a first 11 would win although there would be more chance of it.

Of course had he known we would play Chelsea, the team selected might have been a little different. He did not though and could not anticipate it.

Further the players selected needed game time and one would hope it helps their fitness and well being to at least feature in competitive football.

He had some strength on the bench but unfortunately we were undone by a late goal. It happens. We move on.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Any professional footballer will tell you that they much prefer 2 games a week rather than a week of training and 1 game a week.

If players can't play 180 minutes of football a week then they're in the wrong job. They only train a couple of hours a day for crying out loud and that's not every day if they've been involved in a match.

The team needs to get fitter, it was blatantly obvious that the players where dead on their feet after 65 minutes at Fulham, which means they either put in the extra hours after training or play more matches

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So we're at a stage now where players are needing to be rested after....5 games.

Mmmkay. Well if anyone mentions early season results while players still looking for "sharpness" half a dozen games into the season, I guess we'll know why. Because the first team are sat around picking peanuts out of poo while the stiffs make sure we don't have the "MASSIVE DISTRACTION" of being in a cup.

Win, lose or draw at Ipswich, binning the team last night will have had absolutely no impact on Saturdays result. It was a match at Walsall for christs sake, they're not on a plane coming back from Azerbaijan.

Possibly not, but a lot of yellow cards are being picked up (Lua already on three) so delaying any potential suspensions could have an impact further down the line.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
This idea that players shouldn't be risked in case of injury is just so much 'flannel'. If it were a valid argument then exactly the same argument could be made and players wouldn't be 'risked' against weaker opposition in the League.

I can appreciate it when players are 'rested' and squad rotation is used but when there is a break coming then this excuse hardly applies and in any case doesn't justify resting the whole team.

Fans paying for tickets and especially those travelling away to support the team are short-changed in matches like this!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here