Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

You've Called The Seagull Line On..................

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Reminiscing last night about this being the only way I could get updates on the Brighton score when I was living in London but, can anyone remember the number?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Brighton 8049. That's the number for Albion information every day, 24 hours a day.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I think it was Brighton 8049. That was the number of Albion information every day, 24 hours a day.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Wasn't it "Brighton 8049. That's the number for Albion information every day, 24 hours a day."?

N Ryerson, Esq.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I used to spend hours on that line especially in the summer before all news became instant.
I wonder how much money it made the Albion or, indeed, if they made any money out of it at all.
Back in those days it was about the only information source except for the Argus and, living in Surrey, that was never very easy to get.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I used to spend hours on that line especially in the summer before all news became instant.
I wonder how much money it made the Albion or, indeed, if they made any money out of it at all.
Back in those days it was about the only information source except for the Argus and, living in Surrey, that was never very easy to get.

Yes I know exactly what you mean. I spent many years living in Staines in the 80's, and the morning after a big win, l was even known to get a train up to London, just so that I could procure a copy of the Argus at Victoria station.

What a sad man I must have been.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I must have cost my Dad a fortune as I rang it every day. Don't think there was itemised bills back in the 80's so maybe he didn't know. Thanks Dad.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Classic story in Gull's Eye of a chap who rang it from his boss's office and then accidentally left the phone off the hook, returning 24 hours later to hear Millard's bulldog tones still echoing through the handset.

The rise of NSC circa '97 arguably did for it.

"You're through to the Seagull Line"...no shit, I thought I was ordering a pizza

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Yes I know exactly what you mean. I spent many years living in Staines in the 80's, and the morning after a big win, l was even known to get a train up to London, just so that I could procure a copy of the Argus at Victoria station.

What a sad man I must have been.

No, a dedicated fan :albion:

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
My favourite memory of the Seagull line, the number for Albion information every day, 24 hours a day, was "We bring you the exciting news that Albion have signed an international striker and a Premier player on loan. But first, a review of the reserve match against Bognor Regis".

£8.50 later, it was David Adekola and Christer Warren.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Who called it from the furthest away?

We lived in Scottsdale, Arizona for a while when I was a kid. Mostly we'd listen to World Service for the results but sometimes it was Tony on 8049 at lavish expense. So I'll start the bidding at 5299.2 miles away from Hove actually. #winner

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
I used to get all the Albion match day reports from the Argus sent to me in the post from my Grandmother :lol: must have cost her a fortune in stamps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here