Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham air crash- a firefighter's harrowing story in the Argus

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"The first actual image I saw I can’t let you put in the paper. I can only say it was like a bomb scene, like a bomb had exploded. "

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I know you can't really judge peoples reactions unless you are there, but when you are as close to a scene like that as the fire service are, then I can't work out what makes you think "photo opportunity."

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I know you can't really judge peoples reactions unless you are there, but when you are as close to a scene like that as the fire service are, then I can't work out what makes you think "photo opportunity."

Ah, I see your problem, you have used the word "think" - trouble is, those people don't, or can't.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I know Roy Barraclough from a professional perspective and I trust his account to be accurate. I find it assuring to know that an experienced Fire and Rescue Service officer like Roy was the initial incident commander.

Clearly he is particularly well placed to provide The Argus with a calm and realistic appreciation of the scenario, while remaining suitably discrete and dignified towards the casualties and their loved ones who might read the report.

Roy is just one of many personnel from across all of the emergency services doing their jobs during the initial response and in the subsequent recovery phase. It isn't a pleasant task for any of them to deal with the aftermath of an aircraft crash - and then to repeatedly attend the scene over several days. They are professionals but also deserve support and understanding as they work to account for missing persons and to ensure the scene is very thoroughly examined, evidence gathered and recorded for the investigation. My thoughts are with them, as well as for the casualties, their families and friends, including on NSC.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fortunately, so far, I have never been at the scene of a traumatic disaster but I am pretty certain my initial reaction would be to help other people if I could as opposed to take pictures.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
We live in a world where picture ,video r the norm .the urge to take or video or to watch weather right or wrong is stronger than ever , I'm sure we all watch the news And watch the terrible things that go on in the world a lot of that stuff is taken by the average person . My heart bleeds for the people involved . The emergency people do an amazing job . As a taxi driver I have been lucky so far not looking forward to day where I might come across something as horrific as this .

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Fortunately, so far, I have never been at the scene of a traumatic disaster but I am pretty certain my initial reaction would be to help other people if I could as opposed to take pictures.

Interesting point and it got me thinking about what I would do and I think my instincts would be either to run or help and I can't imagine the thought of filming would enter my head. But, I am in my forties and have not grown up in a world where my life is played out through photos and film via social media. I don't know how old the people doing the filming were, but it does make me wonder whether different generations would act in different ways and regard their way as "normal".

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
An interesting account and very well captures the range of pressures and emotions on arrival at an unfolding major incident. My best wishes to all those called to assist that day and over the subsequent days, in whatever capacity. They are all an absolute credit to their respective Services.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Amazing story told with truth and sensitivity. Yet as he say about the strong language you can tell an anger there as well. It is so easy to forget what good they do and that they are human and have to return home to their families and normality if they can. Fantastic people who just instinctively rushed to the scene. Whatever they are paid it is not enough.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Powerful interview, that.

Amazing story told with truth and sensitivity. Yet as he say about the strong language you can tell an anger there as well. It is so easy to forget what good they do and that they are human and have to return home to their families and normality if they can. Fantastic people who just instinctively rushed to the scene. Whatever they are paid it is not enough.

Very interesting article and a:bowdown: to the power of "N" to all who were there to deal with the aftermath of this terrible incident.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
With photos if you are a journalist, photographer etc. It's your job and people do want to see. Obviously, I am sure any journalist or photographer worth their sort would only take sensitive photos, hopefully. Obviously with regard anyone taking a snap of something insensitive on a phone etc and putting it on Facebook or any other social media site, is disgusting. Remember, a lot of videos and photos were just being taken of a flight at an airshow and there is nothing wrong with that. I for one, haven't seen anything insensitive but then again I haven't looked for any.

I found the guys account very good and very sensitive to the families which I am sure they appreciate.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I'm sure that would be your instinct...i like to take photos of my town etc...but i felt uneasy at taking even one snap of the flowers etc on The Toll Bridge when i went last night..it just felt as if i was intruding ..rightly or wrongly.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

I was once first on the scene of a person who had gashed their wrists. I called very loudly for help and tried to remove the person that had injured himself from the confined space he had holed up in. Once help arrived I was acutely aware of just how little I was in a position to assist. The professionals that arrived were trained for such a scenario and knew precisely what to do. My role completed, I was reduced to nervous shuffling about, hoping for a successful resolution.

We work to our skills. I wouldn't want to condemn a photographer, whose job it is to document, for simply doing what they do. its understandable.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Anyone know is the fire chief Roy Baraclough is originally from Portslade? I was friends with a Roy Baraclough and he is the same age and im sure he joined the fire brigade whe I joined the RAF.
Great report BTW
Yes it is. Former leader at 3rd Hove Scouts too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here