Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Just back from Walsall thread

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
In Coventry currently so not too far back.

Disappointing to lose, team we put out should have been enough despite playing a decent Walsall side who were high on confidence and looked threatening when attacking.
Albion wise it was the same sorry story as last season, COG does some fantastic hold up play, but the penalty sums him up, he's paid to score goals and he just doesn't do it.
FIG made some good saves and was good from crosses, nothing he could have done about the goals.
Midfield 3 were weak IMO, on a small pitch we should have been a lot more compact and for them to score two goals with runs from midfield is disappointing. There was a lot of passengers out there tonight.
Murph looked sharp with some good runs, just no end product for him to work with I'm afraid.
411 fans made some decent noise, felt like a proper old away day with good fun until we started losing. Walsall marked the minute silence impeccably, they moved the 'singing' section next to us which resulted in a couple of ejections from pissed up yooofs with their backwards views.

Have to say most 'memorable' moment of the night was David Stockdale, coming over to the Brighton fans, and giving him shirt / gloves to two young kids whist pointing at his black armband. A real classy moment.

Onwards and upwards anyway.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Caskey sounded excellent on the radio

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
We were pretty poor tonight, yes I know it's the second string and they've had no chance to play together and rehearse moves etc, but even individually there were some really poor showings.

The midfield trio remind us why we were so poor last year, Holla totally invisible all night, Caskey forever running down blind alleys and giving the ball away, and Ince being effective for one half and then completely running out of gas. March was weak and ineffective, Murphy seemed too shy to take his man on, Calderon looks like he's put on a stone and was truly dreadful at left back. Roaenior never got forward all night. COG was just embarrassing, we tried to be kind to the bloke as his parents were sat in front of us, but when he put the pen into orbit it was time for him to go, and I'm really not sure we'll see much more of him. Dunk Rea and Maenpaa were all ok, but as a team it was poor, lazy, un creative, lacklustre. Pretty pi55ed off to be honest after making the effort to go up there. Fair win for them, we made them look good, and they tried far harder than we did.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Not too shabby a summary.
Maenpaa did nothing wrong and made one very good save.
Rae played some good DM-type football (his true position I think) but is really too small for a CB and his positional frailties weren't helped by his partner who showed little inclination to organise his defence
Calde is never a left back and Rosenior more than anyone was greatly disappointing.
Midfield was porous and other than JFC created little. He was the one who looked capable of challenging for the first team. Ince was a mixed bag while Holla was poor. We couldn't hold the ball. We didn't create. We didn't follow runs by their midfielders.
March does good things but lacks the ability to finish with either an accurate pass or a shot although in fairness no-one tonight seemed to want to take responsibility and shoot.
I was disappointed with Murphy. He didn't seem to know his position although his skill on the ball was evident.
COG just had a mare. Totally isolated and missed his one chance to impress.

Some senior players let themselves down tonight but in truth it was too many changes in personnel and a return to the tactics that failed us last season that were the real issue for me.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Not too shabby a summary.
Maenpaa did nothing wrong and made one very good save.
Rae played some good DM-type football (his true position I think) but is really too small for a CB and his positional frailties weren't helped by his partner who showed little inclination to organise his defence
Calde is never a left back and Rosenior more than anyone was greatly disappointing.
Midfield was porous and other than JFC created little. He was the one who looked capable of challenging for the first team. Ince was a mixed bag while Holla was poor. We couldn't hold the ball. We didn't create. We didn't follow runs by their midfielders.
March does good things but lacks the ability to finish with either an accurate pass or a shot although in fairness no-one tonight seemed to want to take responsibility and shoot.
I was disappointed with Murphy. He didn't seem to know his position although his skill on the ball was evident.
COG just had a mare. Totally isolated and missed his one chance to impress.

Some senior players let themselves down tonight but in truth it was too many changes in personnel and a return to the tactics that failed us last season that were the real issue for me.

Yes tactics poor and changes were needed 10 or so minutes before the changes actually came. I knew it would be a second string side as all teams these days appear to put second string teams out. Not for me anymore, home and away for league games, finished for me for cup games. Feel sorry for us fans. A waste of time chopping and changing. No cohesion pointless. Credit to walsaw hungry and took their win. I am sure I will get not a proper fan, I travel a fair distance for the league games. 14 Henry was a good player, quick, sharp, although a little all left foot dangerous.
Thought Rea Ince Rosenior were the pick of a bad bunch tonight.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I thought BZ may have played.
Nothing against the bloke, but if I were released to find another club, that would spur me on to keep my fitness levels at maximum so that it would improve my chances of getting a job.
Just a thought.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
That is the radio for you _ "no unfortunately"
Just listened to Hughton's post match interview and he also said Caskey was our best player and was excellent. Is he wrong as well?

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Just listened to Hughton's post match interview and he also said Caskey was our best player and was excellent. Is he wrong as well?

Afraid so, got it completely wrong tonight. I think I am right in saying houghton wanted to win tonight, not with that team selection tactics. Poor tonight all round credit to walsal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

No, he wasn't. It's the usual blinkers attitude from some fans.
We didn't look like a team tonight but 11 strangers who were uncoordinated. The subs were too late to make a difference. Walsall should have been down to 10 men, but the red bottled it because he'd just given a yellow, but the tackle on JFC a couple of minutes later, was a yellow all day long. It was a cup game, the lower league team wanted it more.
We've got an important game on Saturday & I get the feeling, we'll be a lot more focused by then.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
No, he wasn't. It's the usual blinkers attitude from some fans.
We didn't look like a team tonight but 11 strangers who were uncoordinated. The subs were too late to make a difference. Walsall should have been down to 10 men, but the red bottled it because he'd just given a yellow, but the tackle on JFC a couple of minutes later, was a yellow all day long. It was a cup game, the lower league team wanted it more.
We've got an important game on Saturday & I get the feeling, we'll be a lot more focused by then.

That about says it I think. Hughton carries the responsibility in my view as he got it tactically completely wrong.
Their right back should have gone for two yellows. O'Grady should've scored his pen. Two moments that changed the game.
But overall we got what we deserved and so did Walsall......... 2 goals from open play. - I think if we'd played on until tomorrow we would have struggled to match that :shrug:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Gonna stick up for [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] here guys. They were raving about JFC in the first half & saying what a cracking game he was having. Aspinall seemed to divide his time slating COG and praising JFC (it did seem they were the chosen ones last night). However, there's about 5 fans on here saying JFC wasn't so great so maybe it's just opinions on this one.. Anyway, it was a League Cup tie with 10 changes - I said before Southend I wasn't overly bothered (it's hardly a first team fixture for us with 10 changes) and I thought the same last night. Obviously hats off to those that travelled though - proper fans :)

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I thought BZ may have played.
Nothing against the bloke, but if I were released to find another club, that would spur me on to keep my fitness levels at maximum so that it would improve my chances of getting a job.
Just a thought.

He had a set back you clown.

What about Crofts? About 5 games in two years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here