Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We were never going to win the league cup.... Blessing in disguise...

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Unnecessary games, we can now concentrate on bringing that striker and winger in and kick on from the excellent start we have made in the league this season.

COYS!!!

:)

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
The last two times we made the play-offs we got knocked out of the league cup early on by Newport and Swindon so tonight's defeat doesn't really matter.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Disagree with the amount of decent teams already exited we could have had a decent run and played some of the big boys. Hate the fact we play reserve teams in both cups we should be going for it, smaller teams have won the league cup or made the final.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Unnecessary games, we can now concentrate on bringing that striker and winger in and kick on from the excellent start we have made in the league this season.

COYS!!!

:)
yeah, but it was good to give the fringe players some game time. Still I'd rather lose today than on Saturday.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Exactly. No point dwelling on that result, and let's take positives.

>Good game for JFC
>A good run out for our squad players
>More evidence COG needs to go
>At least one less game to worrying about, enables more focus on Brighton's priority (the Championship)

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Disagree with the amount of decent teams already exited we could have had a decent run and played some of the big boys. Hate the fact we play reserve teams in both cups we should be going for it, smaller teams have won the league cup or made the final.

I hear what you are saying but it's a long old season (46 games) what's more important attempting to go deep in the league cup and making your key performers play an additional 5-6 games (not including international fixtures for some) or giving the league our best shot in a bid to reach the promised land (worth an estimated £120 million to the club)

I know where my priorities lie.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I hear what you are saying but it's a long old season (46 games) what's more important attempting to go deep in the league cup and making your key performers play an additional 5-6 games (not including international fixtures for some) or giving the league our best shot in a bid to reach the promised land (worth an estimated £120 million to the club)

I know where my priorities lie.

From a purely personal perspective I would take winning the league or FA cup above promotion.

Promotion doesn't really tickle my fancy, love the Championship hate the Premier League. From a financial point of view and for Tony Bloom great if it happens, but as long as we stay up i'd be happier watching good quality Championship football then going into that monstrosity which is the Premier League.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No more cup football until January :cry:

This is not a good thing.

However, the next 7 days in the transfer window are far more important than this result.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Not bothered in the slightest. Just look at the run we went on with Hyypia, didn't help our league form at all, in fact if we'd progressed further we could well have got relegated. League is the key and tonight has made it clear what we need, a quality striker before the start of September.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A game against a top premiership team may have given us the funds to pay for that striker.

Also the momentum is now lost.

No not at all. It was far from our strongest side that we fielded tonight. Obviously no one likes to lose, but Walsall are flying high at the moment, and it's no disgrace to lose against them, after all plenty of Championship sides have been beaten by League 1 and League 2 already in this competition.

It's on to Saturday now, and our pursuit of 3 more league points, as someone else said in this thread we weren't going to win the League Cup anyway.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Albion fans have been making excuses, sorry, saying the same thing for early League cup exits for 5 decades now. Makes you wonder, what's the point in BHA bothering to enter? Our record is, Appalling.
Note the capital A...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not bothered in the slightest. Just look at the run we went on with Hyypia, didn't help our league form at all, in fact if we'd progressed further we could well have got relegated. League is the key and tonight has made it clear what we need, a quality striker before the start of September.

Agreed, plus of course if we had fielded our strongest side, we most probably would have won anyway.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
From a purely personal perspective I would take winning the league or FA cup above promotion.

Promotion doesn't really tickle my fancy, love the Championship hate the Premier League. From a financial point of view and for Tony Bloom great if it happens, but as long as we stay up i'd be happier watching good quality Championship football then going into that monstrosity which is the Premier League.

The other issue for me is that 75% of Premier League teams field their fringe squad players and kids anyhow so the kudos that may have gone with winning the league cup say 15-20 years ago is heavily diluted now in my opinion.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
If needed shows has critical these 6 days could be; we're not far off but squad isn't there yet.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
A game against a top premiership team may have given us the funds to pay for that striker.

Quality Championship strikers aren't available for that kind of money.
A full stadium with an average spend of £200-280 per fan?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The other issue for me is that 75% of Premier League teams field their fringe squad players and kids anyhow so the kudos that may have gone with winning the league cup say 15-20 years ago is heavily diluted now in my opinion.

100% of teams! That's a big issue with football and the Premier League. Finishing 4th or 17th is much much bigger than winning any silverwear whether that be the FA Cup or League Cup. Football and sport should be about glory not about scraping 35 points together to stay in a league where players are paying £60k per annum for a PA who stocks their fridge and promotes their fragrances!

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
100% of teams! That's a big issue with football and the Premier League. Finishing 4th or 17th is much much bigger than winning any silverwear whether that be the FA Cup or League Cup. Football and sport should be about glory not about scraping 35 points together to stay in a league where players are paying £60k per annum for a PA who stocks their fridge and promotes their fragrances!

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment but the fact is that these days it's just a romantic notion. Football is a business first and a sport second these days whereas when we were growing up it was all about the glory and the FA Cup final was THE main sporting event on the calendar. The fact is that now it's all about the £ (wrongly in my opinion). However we have to accept that's the way it will be going forward and as a football purist would I rather go to the Amex to see us play Derby County (Tom Ince, Chris Martin, Jonny Russell) or Arsenal (Alexis Sanchez, Santi Cazorla, Olivier Giroud)... It's the Prem quality, technique and panache all the way for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here