Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS and Paddy McCourt on tele tonight ...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bojan back from injury in the Stoke side. Bojan v Paddy in a flair skill-off.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Asked a Luton supporting pal of mine how CMS was doing and his response could have been taken off this site last year pretty much verbatim.

Crowd is split, half of them are praising his effort and telling those calling him an expensive show pony that he isn't getting the service or they aren't playing to his strengths. The other half think Still has wasted a large chunk of their playing budget on a hair do that chases his own tail for 90 minutes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Asked a Luton supporting pal of mine how CMS was doing and his response could have been taken off this site last year pretty much verbatim.

Crowd is split, half of them are praising his effort and telling those calling him an expensive show pony that he isn't getting the service or they aren't playing to his strengths. The other half think Still has wasted a large chunk of their playing budget on a hair do that chases his own tail for 90 minutes.

I am just very pleased that he no longer plays for us. Thought he might be better at League 2 level though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I think it's pretty fair to say that if even Luton can't play to CMS strengths, then he probably never had that many strengths to be played to in the first place. Just glad he's not our problem anymore. He'll doubtless score in the 87th minute against some knackered donkey of a defender, but so what? It's schoolboy stuff. :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
More baffling for me was the borderline hero-worship from some on here for McCourt. A couple of mazy dribbles in the centre-circle followed by a shot into the defenders legs and people were in raptures, bemoaning the fact that we could only witness his "rare talent" in brief cameos from the bench.

Did he ever get credited with so much as an assist in his time here ?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
More baffling for me was the borderline hero-worship from some on here for McCourt. A couple of mazy dribbles in the centre-circle followed by a shot into the defenders legs and people were in raptures, bemoaning the fact that we could only witness his "rare talent" in brief cameos from the bench.

It's not that surprising given the dearth of excitement when he wasn't on the pitch. And there's nothing wrong with a mazy dribble.

But yeah - neither are missed for anything other than emotional reasons.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean

Well there was one match last season (can't remember which one, think it was on a Tuesday night) he came on made a couple of decent passes and should probably got man of the match which says more about the teams performance on the night rather than his ability.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's not that surprising given the dearth of excitement when he wasn't on the pitch. And there's nothing wrong with a mazy dribble.

But yeah - neither are missed for anything other than emotional reasons.

Nothing wrong with a mazy dribble, but I don't recall there ever once being anything of any note at the end of it. I take your point though - McCourt was probably the dried-up gherkin on top of the shit sandwich that was our season.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
tumblr_lzcs1p8nPW1r0k79zo1_r1_500.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Last season you could say the exact same thing about Kaz, except a bit further up the pitch. Who knows what Paddy could have contributed with a proper run of games?

crabface

Mar 24, 2012

It shows how bad the football was last season. He was the most interesting thing to happen.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Last season you could say the exact same thing about Kaz, except a bit further up the pitch. Who knows what Paddy could have contributed with a proper run of games?

He couldn't even do enough to force himself into one of our worst midfields in recent memory. And during his appearances from the bench, it was quite plain to see why. He was gubbins.

Kaz had a ropey season too of course, along with everyone else. But his pace meant he did at least provide an outlet, and he was also prepared to work back and help out. Not much he did came off in an attacking sense, but his contribution was ten times that of McCourt.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He couldn't even do enough to force himself into one of our worst midfields in recent memory. And during his appearances from the bench, it was quite plain to see why. He was gubbins.

Kaz had a ropey season too of course, along with everyone else. But his pace meant he did at least provide an outlet, and he was also prepared to work back and help out. Not much he did came off in an attacking sense, but his contribution was ten times that of McCourt.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then Easy. To my mind, Paddy had the potential to be our George Boyd. Guess we'll never know now tho eh? :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Should be a world beater in League Two then, I won't be holding my breath.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

How I feel, given how little was created in any case, hapless Hyypia could have done a lot worse by giving him a few games.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Putting it into perspective, we did have such showers of shite as Gary Gardner and Leon Best last season that McCourt was a breath of fresh air. It shows how god awful we were last term.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Putting it into perspective, we did have such showers of shite as Gary Gardner and Leon Best last season that McCourt was a breath of fresh air. It shows how god awful we were last term.

And yet the Forest fans WORSHIP Gardner. Must be doing something there that he never came close to doing here.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We'll just have to agree to disagree then Easy. To my mind, Paddy had the potential to be our George Boyd. Guess we'll never know now tho eh? :shrug:

I'm with you that Paddy had way more to offer than he was given the chance to show.

George Boyd is a TERRIBLE example though (unless you meant 'be really, really scruffy'). Boyd finished last season in the top three of all the players in the Premier League for distance covered. Workrate and running were not Paddy's strengths.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here