Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Villa-Birmingham-WBA-Wolves-Walsall all at home Tuesday night

Why have the West Mercia police allowed this? There could be mayhem at New Street, what with up to ten sets of fans (OK nine if we exclude Barnet :))
On Wednesday there's an absolute dearth of football; in the whole of England & Wales there's just a solitary match all the way down to Conference level. If I could find the bewildered smiley, I'd post it!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
So thats a potential nightmare scenario involving

Vill, Brum, Wolves, WBA, Wallsall, Brighton, Gillingham, Notts County Port Vale and Barnet.
All having a mass brawl at New Street and or in several pubs in Brum.
Good luck with that then West Midlands Police and any members of the public too.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
West brom v port vale being a local derby, as well ,don't think away followings at other games prove too much of risk, more risk with home fans clashing, strange decision not to move a couple of the games to the Wednesday

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So thats a potential nightmare scenario involving

Vill, Brum, Wolves, WBA, Wallsall, Brighton, Gillingham, Notts County Port Vale and Barnet.
All having a mass brawl at New Street and or in several pubs in Brum.
Good luck with that then West Midlands Police and any members of the public too.

That doesn't look like a frightening cocktail of frackery. Not on a late August night in the League Cup.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Why have the West Mercia police allowed this? There could be mayhem at New Street, what with up to ten sets of fans (OK nine if we exclude Barnet :))
On Wednesday there's an absolute dearth of football; in the whole of England & Wales there's just a solitary match all the way down to Conference level. If I could find the bewildered smiley, I'd post it!

Because West Mercia police have no say in it all the clubs you mention are in the West Midlands, 3 of them in the Black Country, and all have the West Midlands Police in charge.

The West Midlands police are confident they can handle it.

Because West Mercia police have no say in it all the clubs you mention are in the West Midlands, 3 of them in the Black Country, and all have the West Midlands Police in charge.
Thanks for the correction. I'm usually quite good on things geographical but always thought that the name was coined to cover the counties of Shropshire and the West Midlands.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Thanks for the correction. I'm usually quite good on things geographical but always thought that the name was coined to cover the counties of Shropshire and the West Midlands.

Apart from the fact that it's not all that rare for teams relatively close together to play home games. I can think of another city a bit closer to Brighton where that happens.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I can't see the problem. If they were playing each other, maybe.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Wouldn't it be nice if this were not perceived to be a problem at all.
Here's hoping that it passes without incident.

Apart from the fact that it's not all that rare for teams relatively close together to play home games. I can think of another city a bit closer to Brighton where that happens.
Well of course five clubs will be playing at home in the capital at the same time; there are 14 League/Premier League London clubs, so that would probably be a minimum on a Saturday. But the point is, have all of them ever been at home on the same day? Or even a dozen of them.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Well of course five clubs will be playing at home in the capital at the same time; there are 14 League/Premier League London clubs, so that would probably be a minimum on a Saturday. But the point is, have all of them ever been at home on the same day? Or even a dozen of them.

Hmmm I take the point re having enough cops but when you look at the football map of the UK there's a lot of 'clustering' in terms of proximity on most Saturdays and of course …………………. it's the League Cup so crowds will be minimal.

Jan 30, 2008
mobile phones and youtube are the way forward ....................didn't you know:wozza:
regards
DR

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Hmmmmm.
It's the next best thing to a home game for me but I have to drive through the M5 /M6 interchange.
Might have to leave early ???

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It is strange to allow this - who will be dealing with the normal day to day crime? I'm sure they will have their manpower at the various matches

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Just gone through New Street. Current situation.
image.jpg

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
A better London analogy would be if Millwall, Charlton, Dagenham, Orient and West Ham were all at home at the same time. Has that ever happened?

OK I suspect its rare to have all 5 at home. Going back to the Midlands teams mentioned, I suspect it's also rare for all 5 to be at home at once but 3 at home at the same time would be common. I think you have to consider it's a midweek evening kick off [little time to get tanked up], it's the league cup [low crowds] and they are playing relatively small teams with well behaved fans [even Gillingham]
Most of the home fans will have a very short journey home, maybe popping in for a quickie at their local. Most away fans will probably go straight home as it would be too much palaver to get a pint post match.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here